isinglass

Reaction score
hey all,
i started thinking about using Isinglass as a finning tool.. so i went an bought som Vicfine-1 from Ab Vickers online....few problems cant find any charts that simplify this proccess for me.. exsample are how much to use per gallon.. do i let this desolve in water first or just dump it in....when do i put it in?? in the secondary??? or a few day before completion of beer???? if anyone could help me with this that would be awesome... i guess i just assumed this would come with some sort of directions on it....anyway if u could help i would much appreciate it Thanks....

never used it, but this site has some steps http://byo.com/malt/item/645-fining-you ... techniques
it's about halfway down the page.

Personally, it seems a little complicated, but I'm not too into the "science" side of things (ph, water chemistry, etc.). At least not yet.

I used irish moss in my first few batches, but didn't really see the need after awhile. I tend to brew darker beers and let them sit for a bit before racking to a secondary / bottling bucket, which to my mind does roughly the same thing.

i use a whirlfloc tablet, crushed and added to boil at about 15 or 10 works perfectly

Whirlfloc is Irish moss. Those tablets are big enough for 10 gallons. I don't bother splitting them for my 5 gallon batches. That'd be too much like work!

Whirlfloc in the boil. Ditto, too much work (and too inexact) to split them.
Gelatin or Polyklar finings. Both are easy to use, provided you have a way to get the beer down as close to freezing as possible for the gelatin. Both do different things - gelatin works on proteins, Polyklar works on tannins. There's also a product called Super Kleer that has two gels and takes care of both problems. Problem with fining: It strips out flavor compounds as well so use judiciously.

just a minor point we learned when working with some vegan videographers for our wedding, if you add isinglass the beer contains some sort of animal byproducts. therefore, not vegan. same goes for gelatin

probably only important 1% of the time.

however, they did take / drink a chocolate porter. not sure what was in the hot cocoa mix i used for it, but almost certain there'd be something in there they didn't want to eat

oh well. what you don't know...

Nosybear said:
Whirlfloc in the boil. Ditto, too much work (and too inexact) to split them.
Gelatin or Polyklar finings. Both are easy to use, provided you have a way to get the beer down as close to freezing as possible for the gelatin. Both do different things - gelatin works on proteins, Polyklar works on tannins. There's also a product called Super Kleer that has two gels and takes care of both problems. Problem with fining: It strips out flavor compounds as well so use judiciously.
correct, I use gelatin but only full flavored beers , "Ive been accused of having too much flavor" from lager lovers, go figure

jmcnamara said:
just a minor point we learned when working with some vegan videographers for our wedding, if you add isinglass the beer contains some sort of animal byproducts. therefore, not vegan. same goes for gelatin

probably only important 1% of the time

oh well. what you don't know...
Exactly.

I don't use isinglass. If I did, I would never bother myself to warn others before they drank it, just in case they were a vegetarian. If it's important to them, let them make the first move. Not my problem. Where's my steak?!?!

True. It's such a small amount. I mean people probably eat more spiders in their sleep during their lifetime.

Now if I was making a sausage lager or a bull testicle ale, well, the warning's in the name isn't it?

jmcnamara said:
True. It's such a small amount. I mean people probably eat more spiders in their sleep during their lifetime.

Now if I was making a sausage lager or a bull testicle ale, well, the warning's in the name isn't it?
*jots down note to NOT accept invites to jmcnamara's place* :eek:

jmcnamara said:

Bratwurst Bock?
Pepperoni Porter?
Honey Nut Sack Brown?

Honey Nut Sack Brown? :shock:

I'm thinking of a bacon beer that might even be vegetarian (simulating bacon flavor using mesquite-smoked malt and honey malt). But the bottom line: I don't brew for vegans. Normally my beers are vegan-safe but if anyone needs to know about the milligram of animal collagen in their beer, they can ask and I'll tell them. If they're guests, I'll gladly get them some un-fined beer. That, as I see it, is courtesy enough.

but would a vegetarian even appreciate how close it tastes to bacon?

i agree if they outright ask about it, but omitting a little fact is a bit different to me. in the grand scheme of things, there are plenty of other things to worry and fret about

like running out of meatloaf marzen :D

Back