Isinglass

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So my old timey Boddington's beer-a-like is going into casks today and the people who drink this demand clarity, it's one of the characteristics that Boddngton's was always judged on.

Personally, I can't abide isinglass - it's a foul product - but needs must sometimes.

My question is should it behave like this? I put some in a glass to see what happens and am surprised to see it coagulate at the top, i thought it would drop through. My worry is that I dispense from the top rather than the bottom in casks.

Fined.jpg

Did you chill the beer? It should behave similar to gelatin. When it’s cold the cO2 goes back into solution. cO2 can form on the small structure of the isinglass when it warms causing it to float. Not sure if this is the problem your seeing.

I don’t like isinglass because the pH has to within a range when rehydrating. I think gelatin and bio-fine are both better and easier to use.

It wasn't chilled no. I'm less concerned about it this morning because I had given a fined cask to a friend for a function that happened last night and the reports back were very positive so I think it works as it should in the cask.

That bio-fine looks interesting, going to see if I can find some of that. I don't really want to fine any of my beers but, as I said, sometimes needs must.

Back