Is anyone doing no-boil brewing?

Andrew_D

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have tried this and if anyone has any ideas to share. I did a no-boil batch about 3 months ago, which still tastes fresh and has had no infection issues... it's also one of the few batches that I've managed to keep (intentionally) hazy after lengthy storage in kegs. I'm definitely going to repeat the experiment.

I am curious about this too. I just am unsure how the isomeration of the hops happens (obviously it doesn't)

I was prompted to try this after watching a David Heath video (he's done at least a couple on this topic)...
His point was that he was making a low IBU style, but I wanted more bitterness, so I just boiled a portion of my chosen hops, in a portion of what would become my mash water for 30 minutes. I then added that water to my system (GF30) with the remaining (cold) water, to heat up to strike temperature. I calculated that this would give me about 40 IBU in the final wort.

I've done a couple of Berliner Weisse batches with no boil. Fairly easy for that style as it doesn't need much, if any, hops. Last few attempts have been mash with some Saaz. When the mash is done bring it up to 75C/167F. Cool, pitch the wheat yeast, let that finish out, then add the lacto and brett, give it some heat and package a week or so later. Tastes like a wheat beer for about 2-3 months then the brett kicks in and the wheat beer flavours fade and it turns into a lightly tart, fruity, slightly funky ale that's very refreshing.

The isomerisation happens at mash temps, but it's ridiculously inefficient and I doubt anyone has done the research to work what amount of iso alpha acids are created. I think your idea of boiling separately makes sense.

it's actually an old practice from northern Europe. When metals were considerably more expensive people would mash in wooden containers then add hot rocks to get to wort up to pasteurisation temps. While it was mashing you'd boil the hops in some wort in a copper pot separately. I've heard a German brewer talk about that as the real reason decoction mashes were invented. For isomerisation, not concentration of the wort.

Last edited:
I think the sanitising questions are answered by the video earlier in the thread, with the main focus on the counterflow chiller. David Heath has also commented on some brewers also sanitising the brewing system itself, but his view seems to be that it's not necessary, as pasteurisation temperatures are achieved during the process.
I guess you need to super sanitize everything with a no boil? I'm usually pretty careless with sanitization until I'm past my boil step.

I don't see much of a difference. The wort is pasteurised by finishing up at 75C. So the next concern is the cold side. That's no different from a boiled beer. Get the wort into a sanitised fermenter and pitch the yeast as soon as possible to outcompete anything that did get in the wort post mash.

I've been listening to a set of podcasts on pasteurisation recently. Seems the original research that everyone's been using for the last few decades was very basic. The new research shows that microbes likely to be in a brewery are dead after a few minutes in the low 60s. That includes various lacto and brett strains. Turns out that some of the hardiest are lacto strains.

And now for the except... except for spores of Sacch. Cervesiae. They're much harder to kill. Though the chances of getting those are tiny, so I don't see the need to go through the hoops of killing them off. And by the time the spores wake up and start trying to find nutrients the yeast I pitched should out compete them anyway.

Back