Irish Red with RedX

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, back again!

I've brewed this a few times, but I have doubled it to make a 10 gallon batch since I now have the capacity to brew one. I am trying to get this to come out pretty dry and drinkable. My IBUs are on the higher end of the spectrum, but I've noticed with my new hop spyder I'm getting slightly less utilitization. I have toyed with the idea of using Voss Kveik instead of Notty on this as well. Any thoughts or critiques are welcome- cheers!

1706036798253.png

I like the recipe. I have no opinion on Kveik, having never used it. (Having used Notty, I'm inclined to suggest Kveik :D). But, whatever yeast you choose make sure it is one that likes to drop bright. The redness won't show like it should unless the beer is perfectly clear. Heck, ferment it with 34/70.

I like the recipe. I have no opinion on Kveik, having never used it. (Having used Notty, I'm inclined to suggest Kveik :D). But, whatever yeast you choose make sure it is one that likes to drop bright. The redness won't show like it should unless the beer is perfectly clear. Heck, ferment it with 34/70.
I have done a lager version of this recipe and like it very much, but I'm not sure it will be cool enough in our area to predictably lager at that time. We use a shed that we keep at 50-55 degrees in the winter. So long as the temps are lower than that, NBD, however, when they get up into the 50 and over range I can creep up too high. I'm pretty likley to be using Notty here- I tend to force Voss on everything lol.

I like voss, and have used it all over the place. That being said, i would probably use Novalager or a more traditional yeast.

I dont think voss at low temps is a bad thing at all. its a monster so i wouldnt be surprised if it was super clean at that temp while still fermenting well.

I like my red to be a little darker. the recipe that i put up above is much busier, but it was a stunning red color and was very well recieved.

I have done a lager version of this recipe and like it very much, but I'm not sure it will be cool enough in our area to predictably lager at that time. We use a shed that we keep at 50-55 degrees in the winter. So long as the temps are lower than that, NBD, however, when they get up into the 50 and over range I can creep up too high. I'm pretty likley to be using Notty here- I tend to force Voss on everything lol.
By all means use Notty if you have it, but for the record, I find 34/70 to ferment perfectly fine in the low to mid 60's. YMMV.

How did it turn out? I'd think that little bit of RedX won't even make a dent. I've brewed a beautiful Red without it at all, and as a single malt beer. (which is what is was designed for) I've used it in lesser amounts as well, but it doesn't do much for color unless it is either 100% or really close. I once did a RedIPA with 70% RedX and it was barely a pale Amber.

As for Kveik, I find Voss has a tang to it. Lutra is much cleaner. (at any temp)

How did it turn out? I'd think that little bit of RedX won't even make a dent. I've brewed a beautiful Red without it at all, and as a single malt beer. (which is what is was designed for) I've used it in lesser amounts as well, but it doesn't do much for color unless it is either 100% or really close. I once did a RedIPA with 70% RedX and it was barely a pale Amber.

As for Kveik, I find Voss has a tang to it. Lutra is much cleaner. (at any temp)
Very interesting. I use Red x a lot(brewing a Red IPA right now with about 40% red X. I use it because while the beer would be red without the red X, it really adds a beautiful Red hue when you tilt the glass. Its just a little extra but i think that it is worth it.

I have not noticed a tang to Voss, I use it in everything that isnt a lager. Brewed a 12.2p Session IPA yesturday and this morning its down to 3.4p and I dryhopped it about 30 mins ago. I wont go back to using anything else honestly. I get an average attenuation of 76% due to my stupid brewhouse, its a nice balance for me. I set my tanks to 96F and let it ride. I am also overpitching it(250g/76gal) and using fresh dried yeast each time, but apex voss is SO cheap that it doesnt matter.

Back