Irish Moss or Whirflock?

Or neither, but yes, I believe that carrageenan, which is a gelatinous substance, is what is in whirlfloc.

Yup I thought wirlflock was a tablet form of Irish moss that seaweed stuff @Craigerrr mentioned above

FWIW I use it near every batch.

But often forget to add it :p

Not using any of them.
Mainly because of availability....
And it works out fine without.

I suppose it's one of the good things of not having everything readily available. You got to make do with what you have.

I have whirfloc but I haven't been using it. Unless I'm giving it away to anyone besides my closest friends and family it's not worth it enough for me to remember it. Also since I began filtering my wort on transfer my beer has been pretty clear anyways

I always use 1/2 a whirlfloc tablet. I add it at the same time as the yeast supplement near the end of the boil. The resulting beer is definitely more clear than when I do not use it. But the beer still needs cold-crashing before bottling to get really clear beer. And fining agents (which I don't use) would make it even clearer. Whirlfloc and Irish Moss are just interchangeable tools that aid in achieving clearer beer.

I always use 1/2 a whirlfloc tablet. I add it at the same time as the yeast supplement near the end of the boil. The resulting beer is definitely more clear than when I do not use it. But the beer still needs cold-crashing before bottling to get really clear beer. And fining agents (which I don't use) would make it even clearer. Whirlfloc and Irish Moss are just interchangeable tools that aid in achieving clearer beer.
Same last 10 minutes yeast nutrient and whirlflock.

Another sneaky spammer. I will report this one too.

upload_2023-6-29_13-44-40.png

Last edited:

Back