IPA Feedback

Jon Dack

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to homebrewing, and up until now I've been brewing clone recipes and getting used to the process and my equipment. With the help of brewsmith, I put together a recipe for an IPA, and wanted to get some feedback on any changes you might make:

5.5 GAL Batch (All Grain)
14 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L

1.00 oz Simcoe - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial - Boil 20.0 min
0.25 tsp Irish Moss - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Citra - Boil 5.0 min

2.00 oz Citra - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Thanks in advance

Jon

this is a standard IPA or Pale ale, looks good, let us know how it goes

little late to the post, but i really like what Citra and Amarillo bring to the table for an IPA. Good luck with it!

Most dry hopping is over in about 3 days. And I wouldn't spend the Simcoe on a 60 minute boil. I had great results using Apollo for the bittering (it's 18% so it only takes a little which means less material in your wort). Then dry hopping twice for three days each with Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... l-pale-ale

The recipe editor makes it hard to indicate the second round of 3 day dry hop but it's in the notes. You'll want to thoroughly cold-crash after dry hopping and age at least 2 weeks cold to get most of the hop resins to settle out and round out the beer. This one has "aged" beautifully and is as least as good as most commercial IPAs I have.

that reminds me, i've got a batch to bottle tonight. little over a week dry hopped

Back