Intro and Advice needed please

I tell every new brewer the same thing, "If I had it to do all over again, I never would have invested in propane. Electric is the way to go."

What to brew in the kitchen? Boom. Garage? Boom. Backyard? Boom.

Efficiency is stellar. The average electrical all-in-one uses 1/3 the natural resources in a brew day. Even here in MN where we still use a ton of cool. Metric ton? Maybe.

Anyway, I own the Anvil 10.5 and the Grainfather G30. I love both. I average about 80% efficiency.* The Grainfather is at the top of your budget, but I'd say it is worth it. The Wifi capabilities and the app are such a huge help. I really can't say enough about the app actually. It is a superb integration with the urn. Accurate recipe building, calculators...water chemistry is still in BETA, but I haven't had an issue with it. I've even started using it when I do end up doing BIAB or a traditional stainless kettle mash.

*Rice hulls are your best friend. 1/2 lbs/.23KG in an average batch, a solid pound or .45KG in a adjunct grain heavy beer. Wheat, flaked whatever, etc..

*Rice hulls are your best friend. 1/2 lbs/.23KG in an average batch, a solid pound or .45KG in a adjunct grain heavy beer. Wheat, flaked whatever, etc..

Completely agree. I brewed Herm's Azacca Wheat yesterday (7 gal batch), which is 50% wheat. I used almost a pound of rice hulls and had no problem lautering.

Then I'm glad I went electric to start :) As for rice hulls.... I've noticed in my re search of wheat beer recipies they nearly all contain rice hulls. So I'm glad you've just affirmed my choice in adding rice hulls.

Then I'm glad I went electric to start :) As for rice hulls.... I've noticed in my re search of wheat beer recipies they nearly all contain rice hulls. So I'm glad you've just affirmed my choice in adding rice hulls.
I always throw in 3 or 4 handfulls. good insurance against poor drainage. 5lbs of em nearly fills a garbage bag and they cost next to nothing.

I always throw in 3 or 4 handfulls. good insurance against poor drainage. 5lbs of em nearly fills a garbage bag and they cost next to nothing.

Is this in any beer recipe?

Is this in any beer recipe?
Yes. - I use a bit (couple handfuls) in each recipe with my all in one. Certainly more in a wheat beer.

I recommend recirculating during the entire mash as it will help with maintaining mash temps. I also recommend adding a spigot to your old brew kettle and using it to heat up sparge water and then placing it higher than your unit with the malt pipe raised so that you can drain from the kettle and sparge over your grains in the raised malt pipe. - not necessary but it helps save some time and free up your hands.

I looked into the units you bought (just briefly) and was really liking the idea behind the ferminater - what a cool unit! My only gripe is the price tag.... Seemed pricey. I'd consider one if they shipped to the US and could indeed get down to 0 celsius as I'd use it to lager in and free up space elsewhere.

Yes. - I use a bit (couple handfuls) in each recipe with my all in one. Certainly more in a wheat beer.

I recommend recirculating during the entire mash as it will help with maintaining mash temps. I also recommend adding a spigot to your old brew kettle and using it to heat up sparge water and then placing it higher than your unit with the malt pipe raised so that you can drain from the kettle and sparge over your grains in the raised malt pipe. - not necessary but it helps save some time and free up your hands.

I looked into the units you bought (just briefly) and was really liking the idea behind the ferminater - what a cool unit! My only gripe is the price tag.... Seemed pricey. I'd consider one if they shipped to the US and could indeed get down to 0 celsius as I'd use it to lager in and free up space elsewhere.

Thank you so much, definatley adding that to my brew knowledge from now on. A handful of rice hulls :)

Yea its pricey..... but its pretty neat and I'm hoping would last my till the end of my brewing days :)

Absolutely every single recipe, they help to create better flow between the grains and will increase your efficiency.

+2 then! (orders a huge bag of rice hulls)

+3 Yup, I throw pound of hulls in every batch. May seem like a lot but if it works, don't fix it.

Back