Intro and Advice needed please

Kgbow

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals! My name is Kirk, UK based brewer (Cornwall) and very excited for the next step in my homebrewing.

I'm not entirely new to homebrewing. Homebrewed for a few years now.... But, I've only ever done extracts or part extracts. I want to make the move to all grain. Mainly because I've noticed the "all in one" systems making things a little easier, as opposed to having to have to fabricate my own equipment!

My question is this... I want to purchase an "all in one" and upgrade all my gear - budget £1000 but willing to go a bit higher if needed......

I love the look of the beacon or the brewmonk, all at the smaller literage. But am aware I'll need a wort chiller. What would you all recommend? As for sparging, I'm just going to use a kettle.

Then theres the need for a new fermenting vessel. Which I'm torn between the fermzilla or the transfermer. I've only ever used a plastic bucket...... (no shame)

Finally, I've always had a bit of a battle with keeping my fermentations at the same temp... I have been tempted to move towards the ferminator. What do you all think? Bearing in mind it would need to house my fermenting vessel too...

Sorry for the load of questions.. keen to upgrade and ramp up my homebrew. Don't want to spend before I get some advice.

Cheers :)

Kirk

I'll let the others with the all in one chime in, but do you have an area outdoors when you can put a propane burner? I live in a much warmer climate, but I like Brew In A Bag. You only need one kettle period.
I live in the US, but I have a 6-gallon plastic Fermonster. I like being able to see what is happening with the fermentation. I keep temperatures stable with a controller on a used refrigerator that I have in my garage. I got the refrigerator for next to nothing from a friend, and the controller was only about $35.

Welcome to the forum Kirk! I can't comment on the all-in-ones because I don't have one and haven't really looked into them. One piece of advice I can give on that would be to buy for the volume you will (or might) be brewing in the future; assuming you can afford it. For instance, if a 30L meets your current needs but, think you might want to brew larger batches in the future then get the 40L.

My main fermentation vessel is a Speidel 30L that I put in a chest freezer that is plugged into an Inkbird controller. And apart from the lids not sealing tight, there is nothing wrong with fermenting in buckets. Although some of the features, like cone fermenters with collection jars and the pressure fermenters, are pretty neat. But, if you want to spend more on an all-in-one, you could keep fermenting in buckets for a while longer.

No experoence with all in one either, although...
I heat water on the stove in a 10 litre pot, mash (biab) by putting this same pot in a cooler box and cool in the same pot, so :cool:

Welcome by the way and you can spend a lot of money on this hobby, but you don't have to.
In my opinion, going all grain, go for
- Grain mill
- Temperature controlled fermentation (inkbird & fridge)
- and what you think is right for you

Welcome to the forum Kirk! I can't comment on the all-in-ones because I don't have one and haven't really looked into them. One piece of advice I can give on that would be to buy for the volume you will (or might) be brewing in the future; assuming you can afford it. For instance, if a 30L meets your current needs but, think you might want to brew larger batches in the future then get the 40L.

My main fermentation vessel is a Speidel 30L that I put in a chest freezer that is plugged into an Inkbird controller. And apart from the lids not sealing tight, there is nothing wrong with fermenting in buckets. Although some of the features, like cone fermenters with collection jars and the pressure fermenters, are pretty neat. But, if you want to spend more on an all-in-one, you could keep fermenting in buckets for a while longer.

Thank you so much! I actually lucked out and got the Brewster beacon 40L with a cooling coil brand new for £330 inc shipping. I'm pretty chuffed with that! Would it easy to make my own temp control unit for the fermenter then? As it stands the ferminator is £200 odd.......

No experoence with all in one either, although...
I heat water on the stove in a 10 litre pot, mash (biab) by putting this same pot in a cooler box and cool in the same pot, so :cool:

Welcome by the way and you can spend a lot of money on this hobby, but you don't have to.
In my opinion, going all grain, go for
- Grain mill
- Temperature controlled fermentation (inkbird & fridge)
- and what you think is right for you

Very tempted to go for a grain mill. But, I was thinking of ordering my recipes from get er brewed as they crush it all for you and send it in one bag if you know what i mean.

Thank you so much! I actually lucked out and got the Brewster beacon 40L with a cooling coil brand new for £330 inc shipping. I'm pretty chuffed with that! Would it easy to make my own temp control unit for the fermenter then? As it stands the ferminator is £200 odd.......

Its as easy as buying a $15 inkbird and connecting it to a fridge. You can go the glycol chiller route as well

As for the mill, seriously reconsider. For $150 it will make a difference. Getting your crush right is important and most Internet places don't

Very tempted to go for a grain mill. But, I was thinking of ordering my recipes from get er brewed as they crush it all for you and send it in one bag if you know what i mean.

Hey Kirk..i can't help you on the all in one but I can comment on the mill. If you are doing so for "freshness"....that's a myth. If you're doing it for controlling BH efficiency ...there's something to that that is noticeable and measurable but I'm with @Minbari ...spend it elsewhere!

Welcome back to the fold...what are you thinking for your reintroduction brew?

Thank you all for the advice!

I lucked out on the 40l brewolution with chiller. Arrives next Wednesday...... As I'm new to all grain, I have found an all grain kit from get er brewed thats a witbier... I LOVE wheat beer and would love to have a go at my own. i've also decided to go for the ferminator and the brew monk stainless steel fermentor with tap as I love the idea of bottling it straight from the fermentor without opening the lid (risking it)

I've currently got an extract IPA fermenting right now.. 5 degrees higher than it should be..... hence why i need a chiller. :)

Way to go :cool:
Witbier and weizen are quite different. Both nice though.
Just in case you expect a weizen, while brewing a wit.
Keep us posted on the progress and show of your gear!

sc 1000 temp controller - Google Search

Making a controller is easy, if I can do it, anyone can...and there are off the shelf options as well, just need a fridge or chest freezer.
Fermentation vessels, you can go so many ways, SS, PET I have a 7gallon SS Brewtech Bucket and love it, but if I had to do it over again I would go for a PET, you can either buy based on your ferm chamber size or buy a ferm chamber based on fermenter size.

Currently like the Brewdemon, Catalyst and Fermonsters

Tim

As for the mill, seriously reconsider. For $150 it will make a difference. Getting your crush right is important and most Internet places don't[/QUOTE]

I second Minbari's mill suggestion. I couldn't get my efficiency dialed in until I started crushing my own.

Good call on the sealed fermenter, oxygen is mean.

As for the mill, seriously reconsider. For $150 it will make a difference. Getting your crush right is important and most Internet places don't

I second Minbari's mill suggestion. I couldn't get my efficiency dialed in until I started crushing my own.

Good call on the sealed fermenter, oxygen is mean.[/QUOTE]

I would go the other way - sorry - our grain comes from Charles Faram ready crushed and I've never seen reason to do anything different. Each to their own though, obviously.

Controllers I would go with Inkbirds for sure, just plug and play. STC1000s need a degree of knowledge.

We don't use sealed/pressure fermenters at the moment and that will defiinitely be the next upgrade. If those are an option I would go for them for sure.

Good luck with the brewing :)

All in one electrics are what most brewers use now. Not sure what you can get in the UK compared to here in the U.S. I use a clawhammer but I don't think sell international. The Brewzilla looks really good too. If it were me I would suggest spend your money on an electric brew system that can hold the mash temp automatically, and make step mashing easy, and after spend money on a fridge/freezer with an inkbird to control fermentation temp. The rest is gravy. Plastic fermenter is fine. I would focus on the brew system and cold side temperature control.

I've been using an electric all in one for a few years now. Very happy and the money was well spent. I rolled my own for a while then bought a Brewzilla. I don't know the brands/models you mention, but as long as it's a relatively new design they all offer 99% of what you need. The differences and prices tend to be down to how many nice to have options you do, or don't, want.

I restarted brewing after returning to the US from 3 years in the U.K.! I had decided on an electric system and was leaning towards the Brewzilla until I saw the Anvil Foundry - I wanted a 220v system but the prices of most systems (and delivery times) seemed to increase for the 220v option - the Foundry is switchable between 110 and 220v! Very pleased with it - comes with a chiller and I went for the optional pump! Also look at the Anvil Crucible for fermenting! Not sure if Anvil stuff is available in the U.K., but electric all-in-one is definately the way to go!

I got mine yesterday! The Brewster Beacon 40L. Got it with a chiller for £300. A steal me's thinks. Just waiting on the fermzilla to become available then I'll brew up my first ever wheat beer BUT all grain. Never brewed all grain before. Keen to taste the results! :)

Back