Ingredient Quantity

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Nola_Brew, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

Let's say a recipe calls for 1.95 lb of x, 1.6 oz of x. Would you round up or down and use the entire amount in your recipe? If I get 2 lb of x and 2 oz of x would the end result be much different if I had used the exact quantities the recipe calls for?

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

3. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

I'll try to round to what what I can easily weigh on the scale. usually, this is down to the half ounces.

i think the little difference you have will be negligible, unless you're using something extra potent like black patent

4. Cian

Cian New Member

If it was me I would round up the 1.95 lbs of x to 2 lbs. But I would leave the 1.6 oz of x as is.

5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Agree with Cian. Think of it this way: .05 pounds is a very small amount in relation to 1.95 pounds - you'll never taste that difference. So when rounding, think of how much error you're introducing. At our scale, if it's not substantial, you'll never notice it. And in some cases, the rounding will be within the error of your scale, meaning you can't measure that difference anyway.

6. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

There's lots of steps in making homebrew. A small variance in weight is going to be canceled out by something else that you did slightly different. Ever put 5 minute hops in the pot 30 seconds late? 30 seconds is 10% shorter than 5 minutes. That's more significant than 5 hundredths of a pound over 2 pounds. I stand by my earlier reply.

7. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't quite sure how to go about it and wanted to make sure before picking up my grains.