Infection (I'm assuming)

I've left iodophor overnight in vinyl beer line tubing and it's permanently stained
Vinyl is far more porous than PET. Silicone will stain too. PET is pretty hard-surfaced.

I think I need to make an experiment!

That, good sir, is a pellicle and you indeed have an infected batch. Break everything down, clean it with bleach solution (1:10), rinse it and hope you get whatever bug caused it.

I use milton here in the UK. Its a sanitiser for baby feeding equipment. It's super cheap and works a charm! Not had an infection since
That's no rinse?there is steam too

Steam or any temperature over 140° will melt or distort PET, so you'll need to use a chemical.

I use milton here in the UK. Its a sanitiser for baby feeding equipment. It's super cheap and works a charm! Not had an infection since
Never heard of this before, looks really good. Plus it's no rinse to boot. I resort to bleach when sanitizing plastic, but this looks better.

Never heard of this before, looks really good. Plus it's no rinse to boot. I resort to bleach when sanitizing plastic, but this looks better.
Yeah it's available in Australia.
I actually got given some for brewing from mum in law but I ditched it in favour for phosphoric Acid sanitiser.

I'll add its pretty hard at the homebrew level to sterilise
I think that's possible with autoclave but hey we're hombrewers :).

Honestly never had a problem with it. I let my bottles soak in it for 15 mins. All fermentors and buckets and anything that is to come in contact with beer will soak in it! Works a charm. I even load it in my sprayer for quick jobs

Yeah it's available in Australia.
I actually got given some for brewing from mum in law but I ditched it in favour for phosphoric Acid sanitiser.

I'll add its pretty hard at the homebrew level to sterilise
I think that's possible with autoclave but hey we're hombrewers :).
good reason to go with stainless. I know it costs more. but you can pour in boiling water and then drop an immersion heater and keep it hot for an hour.

Even we got Milton :D
Got a bottle somewhere. I'll check when I find it, but I recall it is just chlorine?

Milton's website says it contains 2% Sodium Hypochlorite and from the Clorox site it says it contains between 6% and 7.5% (concentrated version) of Sodium Hypochlorite. So, same thing but Milton's lower amount of NaClO makes it safer. Also why you need to soak for 15 minutes. So using @Nosybear's 10:1 ratio would bring the stronger bleach products down into a safe range.

Milton's website says it contains 2% Sodium Hypochlorite and from the Clorox site it says it contains between 6% and 7.5% (concentrated version) of Sodium Hypochlorite. So, same thing but Milton's lower amount of NaClO makes it safer. Also why you need to soak for 15 minutes. So using @Nosybear's 10:1 ratio would bring the stronger bleach products down into a safe range.
In addition to sodium hypochlorite it contains @ 15% sodium chloride. I guess the combo is the difference.

Mine is South African and contains 1 % sodium hypochlorite & 16.5 % sodium chloride.
Goes to show to always check the label. One Milton may not be the other Milton :eek:

This is good to know. I was leaning towards dumping based on other responses but this pretty much seals the deal for me. I don't need more headaches. Win most, lose some I guess. Just heartbreaking dumping any beer.
Definitely heartbreaking! Especially Oktoberfest. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss mate.
You've got a better win loss infection rate than I do:).

Don't dump it! That looks like a Pediococcus infection, which is one of the beneficial ones. Pedio is what you need for belgian sours., for example. If it were me, and it was last fall with a Dunkleweizen, I'd save it and see what you get. Let the pelical finish forming and then wait for it to drop. You'll have a sour'd Marzen.

A good rule of thumb... White and off-white pelicals are good. Brown and black are bad. If you don't absolutely need the carboy it can be really fun to see what you get.

It is a persistent myth that these "infections" are hard or even impossible to kill. Modern science and testing has shown us that this is simply not true. I imagine, without proof, that the unkillable infection myth comes from the old days when we weren't using the best plastics when fermenting. The brew buckets and PET fermenters we have today a made of THE BEST food grade plastics. So, yes, Iodine sanitizer will easily kill off the infection.

Last edited:
So I took a small sample and tasted it and it does not taste sour. I can only assume it's done fermenting, so is there such a thing as racking it off the pellicle and then maybe bring it to a boil for a short period of time to kill the bugs and then putting it back into a carboy and then cold crashing it? Just throwing out ideas here in hopes of saving it.

It will take 6 months to a year for it to sour.

Back