Increasing Brew batch of Simple Citra IPA from 1 to 6 gallons

Wealleans

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to increase the batch of the above home brew from 1 to 6 gallons on your website.
On the 1 gallon recipe it has a pre boil of 1.5 gallons for 1 hour for the 1 gallon batch.
If i want to make 6 gallons will i need a pre boil of wort of 9 gallons? It seems a lot.
This will be my first all grain attempt, so any advise will be much appreciated.

You normally don't have to scale up the pre boil volume the same way as the batch size. Whether I brew a 5 or a 10 gallon batch, I still only boil off about a gallon of water, so if I start a 5 gallon bat h with 6 gallons on the pot, a 10 gallon will start with 11 gallons not 12. I would assume for you that going from a 1 gallon batch to a six gallon will mean using a bigger pot, so you might be best off starting with 7 gallons and adjusting your boil off volume as you learn your equipment.

Yes, start a little low on the boil volume. It’s easier to add water than remove. Evaporation rates have several variables including burner size, pot geometry, and ambient conditions.

Like Bubba Wade said, it is easier to add some water to make your post boil volume than it is to evaporate it off, not to mention how the extra boil time can play with your bittering. You need some way to measure the volume in the kettle before the end of the boil so you can correct before the boil is done. I prefer to have a sight glass on my kettle, but even a simple dipstick will do, just make sure that whatever you use you take the time to calibrate it.

in edit mode, recipe tools scale, new batch size

your boil off rate will be different depending on the kettle used

You normally don't have to scale up the pre boil volume the same way as the batch size. Whether I brew a 5 or a 10 gallon batch, I still only boil off about a gallon of water, so if I start a 5 gallon bat h with 6 gallons on the pot, a 10 gallon will start with 11 gallons not 12. I would assume for you that going from a 1 gallon batch to a six gallon will mean using a bigger pot, so you might be best off starting with 7 gallons and adjusting your boil off volume as you learn your equipment.

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your advice and information.
Dave..

Yes, start a little low on the boil volume. It’s easier to add water than remove. Evaporation rates have several variables including burner size, pot geometry, and ambient conditions.
Thanks Bubba,
As i said its my first all Grain batch. but thanks for the info and your reply.
Dave

Back