Inconsistent mash water totals for specific mash types

Grey Cat Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey BF!

I noticed the other day when rebuilding a recipe, which happens to use a step mash, that the display of Total Water at the bottom of the Mash Guidelines section on the Recipe Edit page is inconsistent.

I attached two screenshots.

One is the expected use, where I have a Strike entry, an Infusion entry, and a Batch Sparge entry. In that scenario, the Infusion amount is excluded from the total at the bottom, but the total is correct under the Water Requirements window.

The other is an example if I change the type to any of the Sparges, Strike or Top Off, the total is correct.

It seems to be just a display error, as all of my totals throughout a session are fine.

Ross
GCB

Attachments

• BF_MashWaterTotal_01.png
    BF_MashWaterTotal_01.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 132
  • BF_MashWaterTotal_02.png
    BF_MashWaterTotal_02.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 126
I've noticed this too. I generally add water twice, once at strike, once at sparge. Previously if I used "Infusion", the software didn't care and added the water. Now the first entry has to be "strike". This change is not wrong but I certainly wonder how it's beneficial to users? That's a legitimate question to the developers: ANY addition, regardless of how it's labeled, should be added to the total water.

Agreed. Typically, I would add any step mash infusion amount to my strike for salt addition reasons. I'll use my strike water amount as needed and any leftover gets boiled for the infusion amount at whatever interval. It's not a huge issue for me as I essentially stick to one step mash schedule, but I did catch myself planning distilled water splits using that amount the other day!

Ross
GCB

Sorry @Grey Cat Brewing @Nosybear!

I think this was an overlapping update issue, there's a moderately sized update coming for QWR, and a rather large one for mash guidelines that are both still being worked on. The more recent small patch for qwr calculations and reorganization into chronological order had a lot of overlapping pieces, and it looks like this bug got missed as a result.

I'm opening a ticket to fix this asap, should be quick.

Back