Imperial Porter Recipe

Good to hear. In my experience a lot of people seem to want you to do things the way they do and discount that you know anything. If you ask for help with a recipe, they will just give you one of their own because apparently no beer that I could make would be any good. I have been brewing for about 10 years now and know a thing or two. Just ranting...haha.
Welcome aboard, mate. You'll fit in fine.

Brewed today. Hit 1.094 which I was happy about. 67% brewhouse efficiency which is about 4 points higher than expected. Collected 5.67 gallons of wort into the fermenter. Sample tasted amazing. Pumped about this one.

About how long until I can start drinking it? 3 months in the bottle? I will obviously let a bunch age longer.

You'll be rewarded the longer you can wait, but I'd think at least 2 months

Of course, you can sneak samples in the name of science and testing

After one week gravity has dropped to 1.030, yeast has dropped but still getting a little airlock activity. I roused the yeast and will take another reading in a week and likely add the nibs, vanilla, and cinnamon sticks. Tasted like chocolate vodka.

Another six days and the gravity is at 1.028. I don't know if it was a good idea or not but I roused the yeast, added 1/4 lb of sugar along with some yeast nutrient to encourage a few more points. I added 4 oz cocoa nibs and an additional cinnamon stick. Still need to add vanilla.

This is the biggest beer I've done so I'm kind of just winging it. Sample tasted a little bit better and almost recognizable as beer.

0hQyd5L.gif

At 1.027 today so it’s probably hit FG. I probably should have accounted for the possibility of more unfermentables from the DME but it is what it is.

The sample showed some progress and the aroma was fantastic. I added vanilla extract a few days ago and am considering a bit more.

Should I be worried about tired yeast for carbing in bottle?

Back