Immersion Chiller question

MarcT

Trial Member
Reaction score
New to brewing ( 2-Extract Brews) One of the things I have found that i find tricky is putting my chiller into the kettle, the issue is getting it in and around the thermometer and drain so it sits all the way down. I have since spread the coil a bit and it worked but I was thinking and my question to the forum is can you just start your boil with the chiller already installed in the kettle? are there draw backs or am I creating other issues? TIA for your help!!

Can't see any reason why not.

Well only way to find out is try it and see if it changes anything. The only issue I see would it might take a little longer to clean the gunk off after.

I was just thinking they used to use big copper pots to boil up the wort heck some probably still do so the flavour thing shouldn't be a prob as bevis said cleaning the chiller would be the biggie.
I've herd copper is less likely to have problems with scortching the wort.

No problem with starting the boil with your chiller. The only problem is measuring kettle volumes and tracking those thru the boil. Also, resist the urge to ever touch the chiller during the boil, it will roast you!

Just know the displacement volume of the chiller. When I put my chiller in the pot, the volume goes up a perceived half gallon.

I was listening to palmer the other day and he said copper is a great mineral the yeasties need too

Back