I'm Signing Out.

We'll miss you. You've become a real friend (not such an imaginary friend!) and I wish you total success in whatever life brings you. Your family and your life is the important thing and thank you for being so honest about this. It's something all of us should take heed of and be aware of it
Amen, too much of one thing can be bad for us sometimes.

A hobby a habit an addiction time to step back

@GFHomebrew wishing you and your family the best. I’ll sure miss seeing you in here all the time. The first time I “met” you was on zoom right before your daughter was born. I’ve learned a lot from you and enjoyed the talks on zoom. Take care and look forward to when you do pop in. The coach in me is proud of you for recognizing it’s time to sort things out.

We'll miss you. You've become a real friend (not such an imaginary friend!) and I wish you total success in whatever life brings you. Your family and your life is the important thing and thank you for being so honest about this. It's something all of us should take heed of and be aware of it
I am not getting any younger and can't do what I could do years ago. I believe you have some words of wisdom there. As a homebrewer and as one that loves breweries, I have been on a quest to find moderate alcohol beers that I can enjoy a couple and still be able to drive home and/or go to work the next day.
Ben, I wish you the best of luck because complete lifestyle changes do not come easy, but neither do good family relationships. They take work and some patience too. I hope you are able to take a brewer's patience and apply it to what is next.

Just thinking too.. There is always non-alcohol, well 0.5% alcohol boucha. Dude, just switch it up and use your talents to do something along that line not harmful to yourself. It would probably be damn good.
The store stuff is expensive, and the good farmers market kombucha even more expensive. If you can make it at home, you have a tasty, non alcoholic beverage that is also a probiotic and still a nice way to play around with fermentation even though an open one.
I would still give a thumbs up to a nice looking NA boucha on the " what are you drinking" thread.

Last edited:
Ben, you continue to be an inspiration to me in the way you tackle life's problems! First you find out you have Celiac's disease. Instead of giving up, you plow head-first into the almost uncharted territory of malting your own non-gluten grains. Now a bigger problem has come up and you do what you need to do! I know it won't be easy but I know you can do it! While I will miss your presence on the forum and the monthly meetings, your family is far, far more important than us imaginary friends.

Ben, you continue to be an inspiration to me in the way you tackle life's problems! First you find out you have Celiac's disease. Instead of giving up, you plow head-first into the almost uncharted territory of malting your own non-gluten grains. Now a bigger problem has come up and you do what you need to do! I know it won't be easy but I know you can do it! While I will miss your presence on the forum and the monthly meetings, your family is far, far more important than us imaginary friends.
Cheers Larry it means alot.

Hey atleast I can still see you on YouTube overseeing dangerous shoddy jobsite acidents and such:D;);)

Ben, I am gutted by your news, mate but respect what it takes to identify and deal with a problem this size. You have got your priorities in order and that's a good place from which to start the first day of the rest of your life. Put as much into your next hobby as you have into homebrewing and I am sure you will reap the rewards and be that bit more placed to enjoy them and be a help to others. Thanks for sharing your marvellous craftsmanship.

Ben, I am gutted by your news, mate but respect what it takes to identify and deal with a problem this size. You have got your priorities in order and that's a good place from which to start the first day of the rest of your life. Put as much into your next hobby as you have into homebrewing and I am sure you will reap the rewards and be that bit more placed to enjoy them and be a help to others. Thanks for sharing your marvellous craftsmanship.
Mate much appreciated inebriated inspirations as I once did like to say.

@GFHomebrew I am going to miss you man! I do hope that you pop in occasionally to say hi and let us know how your sobriety is going and how you and your family are doing.
I think you should change your signature to: NO WHEAT, NO RYE, NO BARLEY, NO ALCOHOL, NO PROBLEM! :)

You got this man! I support and believe in you 100%!

You made a tough, but solid decision. I have a lot of family who made the same decision and it has always made a positive impact on their lives and especially their families. As much as fun as it is to brew, I would hope I would have enough strength to make the same choice as you, should it come to be.

May God bless you and your family.

Wayne

Definitely gonna miss you buddy.

I just stumbled upon this thread and just wanted to express my gratitude at not only such a positive supportive community, but also someone who has been self-aware enough to recognize what is good/bad for themselves and their family.
@GFHomebrew, respect!

I didn't get to know you like some of the other guys clearly have, but I can 100% understand. Have read a lot of your content on here and have appreciated the different approach and perspective on the hobby. Wish you the best, thank you for what you've contributed here!

Oh shoot TrialBen , havent been on here too much recently, totally forgot about the name change. I wish you well and look forward to hearing about your new adventures!.

All the best to you Ben! You will definitely be missed, and will definitely be welcomed when you visit. Your priorities are in order - family and your health are key. Tons of great hobbies to choose from, and the one(s) you choose will benefit from your enthusiasm, innovation, and can-do attitude.

Sorry to hear but you are making the right choice! I enjoyed reading about your gluten free brewing. All the best to you!

Back