Im embarrassed to ask

I could be wrong or maybe bought the wrong one but I think it said a “gateway”. I’ll look and see

I think most just tape the probe to the side with some type of insulation over for better readings. Your temp readings will be close enough.

This is what I do for two reasons.
1) It is close enough. Last year I borrowed a coworker's Tilt and found that, at high kreuzen, the Tilt was about 3 degrees higher than the Inkbird probe taped to the side and covered with a piece of styrofoam.
2) There is a significant lag time when dropping the temperature for lagering or cold crashing. By the time the probe at center of the carboy reads near freezing, the beer near the outside of the fermenter is probably below freezing and the chest freezer is way below the freezing point of beer. Even after the temperature controller shuts off the power, the super cold environment inside the chest freezer continues to drop the temperature of the beer and potentially freezing it....as happened to me once. :oops:

This is what I do for two reasons.
1) It is close enough. Last year I borrowed a coworker's Tilt and found that, at high kreuzen, the Tilt was about 3 degrees higher than the Inkbird probe taped to the side and covered with a piece of styrofoam.
2) There is a significant lag time when dropping the temperature for lagering or cold crashing. By the time the probe at center of the carboy reads near freezing, the beer near the outside of the fermenter is probably below freezing and the chest freezer is way below the freezing point of beer. Even after the temperature controller shuts off the power, the super cold environment inside the chest freezer continues to drop the temperature of the beer and potentially freezing it....as happened to me once.

I’ll just do it that way. Thanks

I’ll just tape then if you guys do that.

Good move, I think the thermowell claims are a little overblown for this application. ... you can get the same results with it taped to the outside of the carboy. Granted, the wells have their place for given arrangements, I am using them in my HLT and tun but for my method, the "internal" and the on the glass temp of the wort were certainly close enough for me!

check this thread:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/temperture-deltas.12046/#post-89452

and @Bubba Wade ...Glad to hear you are OK...I got family south of you and I am waiting on hearing how they made it through.

That’s a good thread to read. I’ve been using the strips and plan to do that as well but they get damp and fall off. Plus having to lift it out every time makes me worry I’ll drop a fermenter.

and @Bubba Wade ...Glad to hear you are OK...I got family south of you and I am waiting on hearing how they made it through.

Thanks, we’re 240 miles from coast and it was still a Cat 1 hurricane this far inland. We have a lot of people without power but the utility company is doing an excellent job getting things back online.

Lake Charles, LA got hammered really bad and may take weeks to clean up.

Inkbird IBS-TH1 came its pretty basic but WONT PAIR. There is no on/off or Bluetooth pair button. App can not find it

Inkbird IBS-TH1 came its pretty basic but WONT PAIR. There is no on/off or Bluetooth pair button. App can not find it
What device are you using to pair? Have you tried pairing using the device Bluetooth settings or just pairing through the app. Some devices are finicky and might require pairing through the settings first.

Tried using Bluetooth settings and through the app. I tried both ways on my phone and ipad

You've tried everything I know to do. The only other thing I can think of is to turn the Bluetooth off for a minute and turn it back on in range of the new device. I have had to do that a time or two with my Garmin watch.

Tried that too lol. I’ll leave it off longer and try again.

The IT guy it work is a good buddy of mine, everytime I have an issue that is solved by rebooting, he says "don't tell anybody, I got a family to support"
Sorry man, can't help with the Bluetooth issue.

:(
I tried again today and nothing. I think I’ll send it back for another one of some kind. There is no light or anything to know if it works

:(
I tried again today and nothing. I think I’ll send it back for another one of some kind. There is no light or anything to know if it works
Maybe you got a bad one

This is the wifi one I got, it works pretty well but my use for it is kind of defeated. Way to hard to maintain kettle temps.
upload_2020-9-3_8-55-3.png

Have not had this issue in a while so im a little scared. I brewed a milk stout Saturday and pitched at 75, withing a few hours it was comfortably below 68 (which I my target high with S-04) Ive kept it in the low 60's no higher than 64 since then. Today I actually had to work today (teacher work day) so I didnt get o change ice bottles. It was 70-71 this evening about 8pm. My wife did change the bottle at 2 and she said it was still cold just not frozen. So my guess no more than 3-4 hours at 70-71. Am I screwed? It has been fermenting like a champ since early Sunday.

The flavor development usually happens in the first 2 to 3 days of fermentation, so you should be fine. I increase the temperature setting in my fermentation fridge to 70 once Krausen begins to recede. The increase encourages a bit more attenuation and helps with any VDKs that may be present.

I do have a stopper for my Big Mouth bubbler but I have zero clue on what size it is. If you look on Northern Brewer sight I'm sure you could find out. They also have responded to my past emails so you could email them. I think most just tape the probe to the side with some type of insulation over for better readings. Your temp readings will be close enough.

Been awhile since I've used them but, IIRC it's a #10 stopper.

Amazon sent a replacement and it will not pair either. So I’m sending it back and lifting the thing out of a cooler every time to check temp.

I have had S04 hit +75F with no issues. As long as it started at 68F it will fine. S04 finishes very fast, 3-4 days is not unusual for a 1.060 or lower gravity beer.
Yo, he's 100% right. I've had the exact same experiences. I don't have a temp controlled fermenter, and live in Australia with no heat, and a portable air con. As long as you pitch at the right temp, these yeasts are pretty tolerable. Unless you're going to become a commercial brewery, the differences in batches won't be that big of a deal.

Back