I'm a kind a new guy here

A.Korva

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello. I use this site now about half year, but now i founded this forum. So im from Finland and make all grain beer now tree years in home. Two years working in local brewery and few months make my own recipes in micro brewery, boil size about 300 liters.

Just little time ago my boss say to me, that my beers are so good that i get free handed to make much more different kind beers in taproom. In this factory i can use many different enzymes and lot of anykind shit.

My problems are now mostly mechanicals, but Neipa-style makes me hedeic. How i can keep it hazy? I chill all my product to +2 celcius and then carbon oxides them with pump, so its have to be very chill, but then beer crarified too much.. How you guys solve this??

Oh, by the way, my name is Antti.

Hello. I use this site now about half year, but now i founded this forum. So im from Finland and make all grain beer now tree years in home. Two years working in local brewery and few months make my own recipes in micro brewery, boil size about 300 liters.

Just little time ago my boss say to me, that my beers are so good that i get free handed to make much more different kind beers in taproom. In this factory i can use many different enzymes and lot of anykind shit.

My problems are now mostly mechanicals, but Neipa-style makes me hedeic. How i can keep it hazy? I chill all my product to +2 celcius and then carbon oxides them with pump, so its have to be very chill, but then beer crarified too much.. How you guys solve this??

Oh, by the way, my name is Antti.
Hello Antti, and welcome!

For a hazy NEIPA, the process is a little different. We use more hops, an American-style yeast, and do not make it cold for a long time: just as soon as it is cold enough to carbonate, it gets packaged. In this way , the haze does not clear much.

I am only an amateur, so please wait for others here for 'better' advice. But, the haze comes from both ingredients and process.

Hi Antti & welcome!
Sorry I can't help you. Never made a Neipa. But the others will chime in.
Looks like you are doing real well with the beer making:cool:

Not made one ither but a near nock off using Kviek yeast Hornidal or Framgarden they never clear for me.

This is some of what I've lernt about the style.

Using a grist with a high amount of Wheat and Oats is a great way to get sustainable haze as well as @Donoroto said packing it wall to wall with for example Citra Mosaic Talus Sabro (new world hops).

Favouring Chloride in the water salts help with a soft pillowy mouthfeel accompanied by the oats and wheat help as well.

I hear London Fog WLP066 is a great yeast for NEIPAs.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Antti, welcome! Some of the keys to a stable (but not unpleasant) haze:
  • Use a yeast that doesn't settle out quickly, as already recommended
  • Use a substantial amount of flaked oats for both mouth feel and stable haze, also recommended above
  • Personally in my IR JUICY NEIPA, I use equal amounts of flaked oats and wheat to about 15% of the total grist

Welcome Antti, it sounds like you are finding success as a brewer.

Welcome
Don't get hung up on the haze. It isn't the goal, but what happens when you brew to get the soft malty mouth feel, and the juicy flavors.

No kettle findings.

Chloride to Sulfate ratio should be at least 2:1, even 3:1.

Up to 25% flaked, half wheat, half oats, and some wheat malt as well up to another 8 or 9 percent.

No boil hops, but a heavy whirlpool addition, as much as 8-10 grams per liter, let it ride at 70-80C (depending IBU preference) for a good 20 minutes.

Dry hop another 8-10 grams per liter near the end of fermentation.

I cold crash, but not for long.

You will want to do a closed transfer, and avoid o2 exposure like the plague.

I believe that yeast choice is not as important as some believe. I personally use Lallemand VOSS as it is available dry, and works super quick. I sometimes go grain to glass in 7 days including a 24 hour cold crash. Fermenting under pressure at 39-40C provides a nice clean fermentation. If you want the VOSS tangy taste ferment lower.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

Welcome!
Just packaged this beer today.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1416712/double-juicy-ipa-not-move-beach-

My hazy IPAs tend to remain hazy for the whole time they are on draft(<2 months). The current batch is still hazy and was packaged on 8/18.
I use Kviek Voss. and most all of my hops end up in the whirlpool and just a few very late additions(5 or 0 min). I do use mostly Cryo hops. This was the first time that i have Dryhopped during(sort of missed it) fermentation.

Back