If you had a brewery...what would your tap lineup be?

So the best sellers are the IPAs.
Surprised by the seltzer sales.
A ton of work for sure.
I didn't even mention the wines I make for the bar.
I will say, follow your passion and you'll be happy with what you're doing!

NEIPA can be very tricky. Seems like everyone is doing them and few are doing them great .
I want to make sure I'm happy with what I'm producing prior to releasing one. Also, any oxygen pickup at any stage, quickly shortens their life.

Damn, why couldn't I have ended up closer to Cleveland?? I need to visit Mentor some time in the next year.

Atlanta's beer scene isn't bad though.

NEIPA can be very tricky. Seems like everyone is doing them and few are doing them great .
I want to make sure I'm happy with what I'm producing prior to releasing one. Also, any oxygen pickup at any stage, quickly shortens their life.
I can imagine it would be more difficult at a larger scale.

I can imagine it would be more difficult at a larger scale.
The difficult part is the separation.
For instance, in my 1BBL batch of the house IPA, there are 3 pounds of hops in the fermentor. Even with cold crashing, dumping and transferring through a filter, I end up having to stop during the transfer to clean out my filter.
Then set everything up again with sanitizing and CO2 purging.
Now with a NEIPA there might be 5 or more pounds in the fermentor, so more difficulty and more chances for a mistake or oxygen exposure.
Then if you do everything right, you have 2-3 weeks to move through it and it'll change throughout the serving cycle. This can lead to a poor customer experience, even if the beer is good throughout but just changing.
I'm just not ready to go there yet.
Soon, but not yet
Cheers,
Brian

One thing I don't think we've covered here is the hours one must spend in the brewery.
I follow a brewer on the tube Harry Brew 69 AKA "the brew shed" over in Allans land.
Man that dude puts in some CRAZY hours brewing beer fixing up problems in the pub and packaging orders ect I honestly don't know how he does it.

When I've finished cleaning up my little brew area I often walk away thinking an I've only got a 20lt brew capacity back yard brewery I wouldn't want to deal with anymore :eek:

Yes Ben, I too have watched Chris Harrison-Hawkes VLOGs from the earliest to one this afternoon. He has done a fantastic job and proves the amount of work and dedication you need to brew as a business. I have done his simple ale (my kiss my ass) and going to do his Vacant gesture (my Pretty Vacant Gesture) in the next group. He has been so open in all he does - even to the point of showing his accounts (not everything of course) and the financial hurdles he has had to go through during Covid.
I was brought up in a pub / hotel environment as my dad was a pub manager for many years and both he and my mum ran a small hotel that are of my first memories - I used to get beer from an early age apparently.
As for my own beer selection in any bar: I have yet to try ALL the beers out there (I'm going to try) but I guess
1 x Stout
2 x IPAs
1 x Amber
1 x ESB
1 x lager (no idea which though)
1 x Belgian
1 x wheat

All this is too much work now I think of it so I'll just get a few cans in from the supermarket and a bottle of Port for the ladies...

Ah, so that's where he got the idea for Fawlty Towers...

(Sorry Alan, I know you're Scottish and Cleese is a Brit...)
I am a Brit too you know lol It's the SNP (Scottish National party) that want Scotland to leave Britain... I despise them for it.

Lol The strange thing is my local hotel when I was 17/18 was called the Glenburn. It had IDENTICAL owners to Basil And Sybil in stature and attitude that we called them that (though not to their faces). I first worked in a bar there and did the disco most weekends - great times.

1- House IPA, it's what every craft beer drinker will at least try
2- APA, because some people don't like 6.5-7% beer, but want hoppy
3- A NEIPA, with 20 IBU's, I hate overly sweet
4- Stout, I'm not into dark beer, but tons of people are
5- Nitro rotating tap, Nitro IMO is the future of beer
6- Seasonal dependent beer. I.E. - Winter Rauchbier, Summer Saison, etc
7- A Lager, but thinking IPL versus true Lager, as popular as Lagers are, they're not worth the cash anymore as the brewery
8- Rootbeer as well, @Bubba Wade is on point!

I've been reading through this thread and was surprised by how many people mentioned "needing to have a yellow/fizzy to pay the bills"... I live in New England and what @The Brew Mentor said is more of what I see:
New So the best sellers are the IPAs.
9/10 breweries around here have 4+ IPAs on tap, a pale or or two (or three) a blonde and a porter or a brown ale that tastes like a porter.... All anyone wants is an IPA - those that want a yellow fizzy don't go to craft breweries and if they do they get an IPA thinking that is a craft beer.

Anyway, with that being the case in my region - I'd probably sink. Lol (I don't do IPAs)

Shuttz Light
Shuttz Brown Ale
Shuttz Bock
Rotate- A Kolsch/Blonde ale/ or Pilsner
Rotate - Shuttz Porter/Stout
Rotate - An ESB/Pale Ale
Rotate - Alt/Mild

Definitely seasonals!

I think I finally honed in my Oktoberfest! We'll see what the judges say in the competition I recently entered.

Back