IBUs for First Wort

Craig Wilkins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Question: How come First Wort Hops adds less IBUs than the equivalent added to the 60 minute boil?

I read a recommendation to try splitting your 60 minute hops addition (first addition) into two.

Put 50% as a First Wort addition and 50% at the 60 minute boil, in lieu of using all at the 60 minute mark. When I did this, the overall IBUs went down, which confused me in my Brewer's Friend recipe.

Can someone help me understand how this works?

its a smother bitterness than being boiled due to adding the oil before the boil, it actually adds more flavor and less sharp bitterness, I even do mash hoping regularly where I recirculate with my pump and add the hops to the mash and that even goes farther towards flavor and less bitterness, its a perception rating not an actual numbers for bitterness, you perceive this as being less bitter

My understanding with the theory behind FWH is that some molecules from the hops bind with maltose molecules and render the new molecules formed un-isomerizable
Therefore unable to contribute to the total IBU's . These new (flavor) molecules are later liberated by the yeast cells or on the palate when consumed

That's what I think I know about the subject hope it helps
Prost!

Back