IBU calculator...don't think its right

Reaction score
Lately the IBU calculator has been way off IMO. I was working on a couple new recipes. I added 16oz of 13AA chinook to a 40gal batch @ 60min, 8oz @ 30 and 8oz @10 Calculator came back at 26? WTF? Using Hopsteiner's IBU calc it came back at 120! Adjusted my hops using the hopsteiner calcs to get a figure around 50. 4.9oz at 60 and 4.9oz @20. BF calcs it at 23 Rager, Hopsteiner 51.5. Recipe is public : 49'n Holdin'.

This is the 3rd recipe I have done in the last few weeks that the IBU calc is way off. I went with my gut and used what I felt was correct on the others and turned out ok. I have been brewing at home and, as of last year, professionally for about 5 years. Have always liked this app. for its easy calculations and inventory control. Please fix this!

UPDATE:

Once I corrected the water, which BF used to do automatically, the IBU's corrected... strange as all get out.

UPDATE:

Once I corrected the water, which BF used to do automatically, the IBU's corrected... strange as all get out.
Would you be able to share the recipe, or steps you went through, so we can investigate further?

When you said corrected the water, was that regarding the water chemistry, or the pre/postboil volumes of batch size?

Just want to make sure everything's working as it should be.

So, I also had a question w/ the IBU calculator vs the calculated IBU w/ the recipe builder. 1 oz Northern Brewer w/ 11.4 AA @ 60min, w/ 1 oz East Kent 5.6 AA @ 30 min, w/ total IBU 62.82; In recipe builder same allocation is ~ 92 IBU. Why the difference? Both use the same scale.

So, I also had a question w/ the IBU calculator vs the calculated IBU w/ the recipe builder. 1 oz Northern Brewer w/ 11.4 AA @ 60min, w/ 1 oz East Kent 5.6 AA @ 30 min, w/ total IBU 62.82; In recipe builder same allocation is ~ 92 IBU. Why the difference? Both use the same scale.
Can you provide a link to the recipe and a screenshot of all your settings for the IBU calculator? Likely it's a difference of boil volumes or gravity, but need to take a look at the details!

Back