I need to sweeten a brew

David P

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add sweetness to a one gallon batch at bottling and have been reading about the use of lactose.

Does anyone have any idea of how much I might need to use? Is there a general rule of thumb for the standard five gallon batches that I can recalculate to match a one gallon batch?

I don't want to alter any malt measurements. That point will be irrelevant to this instance.

i used .25 lb in a 3 gallon batch of pumpkin milk stout a while back.

that had a lot going on in that batch, but i don't think the lactose was overpowering or lacking

you can sweeten a brew a number of ways, the easiest way is to use a unfermentable sugar or up the temp of your mash, remember lactose is the very thing many people are allergic too, splenda also works

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
you can sweeten a brew a number of ways, the easiest way is to use a unfermentable sugar or up the temp of your mash, remember lactose is the very thing many people are allergic too, splenda also works

I appreciate that but again, mash and malt don't enter into this situation.

It's really more of a question of quantity instead of the choice of material. If I were to use Splenda, how much would I use for a one gallon batch?

As far as lactose goes, it's only about a fifth as sweet as table sugar (sucrose). Splenda is about 300 times as sweet as table sugar. I've tried Stevia - don't. Nasty aftertaste.

Back