I have a couple questions about floating pick up tubes...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
1. For those of you that have used them, which floating pickups do you prefer? Been looking at the "Clear Beer", Torpedo Buoy and Cask Widge.

2. Will going to a floating pick up make it easier to naturally carb in keg without a lot of yeast in the pickup?(Lager yeast mostly).

I have both William's Top Draw and the Torpedo Buoy, they're pretty much the same, but the tube that comes with the Torpedo is stiffer. I just racked off a beer with the Torpedo and it kept pushing co2 instead of beer, I had to shake the keg to get liquid. I think the stiffer tube is the problem, the Top Draw does it once in a while, but the Torpedo did it a half a dozen times in one transfer.

I think it would work really well with a natural carbonated lager. I use mine in the primary/secondary fermenters and they work fairly well.

Top Draw:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Top-Draw-Beer-Pick-Up-Tube-P4643.aspx

I think you'll like them. I think they're great for the most part. The only issue I've had is what I believe @HighVoltageMan! Was describing above. The small part of the tube can sit wrong or kinda get hung up on the side of the keg or fermenter and start sucking o2 instead of liquid. I simple tap to knock it free works and I've only had it happen twice. Otherwise, work great.

That has always seemed overly expensive to me? Maybe it's worth paying more for, I don't really know. I think for awhile it was the only one out there so they could charge a higher price, but now it seems competition has moved in at competitive prices. I don't know if clear beer does something different or not.

Back