I brewed today!

if you haven’t pitched you could add bottled water to hit gravity. Use the dilution calculator to know how much. I pretty much always top off to hit gravity. I usually leave a gallon for that since it helps me chill it as well.
 
I brewed yesterday and I thought everything went pretty good. I was just waiting for the wort to chill to the right temperature before adding the yeast. It’s at 60f right now, so I checked the OG to see how I did. I was shocked to see my gravity was at 1.070. Based on the recipe i put in the app, I thought it would be around 1.058. So now I’m not sure what to do. I don’t have any extra containers to dilute and split the batch. So I wondering if I should add the yeast as is and make a 7-7.5 Marzan, and if I need to dry hop because of the higher gravity. Or dilute and toss the extra. Any thoughts?
If you are confident the reading was accurate (no calibration needed or user error) then let your goal decide your path. If you want the proper ABV range then dilute and toss the extra. If you want a märzen with a kick, then go with what you have. If it were me I'd go with the latter. A third option would be to use this happy accident to justify purchasing more equipment! :)
 
I brewed yesterday and I thought everything went pretty good. I was just waiting for the wort to chill to the right temperature before adding the yeast. It’s at 60f right now, so I checked the OG to see how I did. I was shocked to see my gravity was at 1.070. Based on the recipe i put in the app, I thought it would be around 1.058. So now I’m not sure what to do. I don’t have any extra containers to dilute and split the batch. So I wondering if I should add the yeast as is and make a 7-7.5 Marzan, and if I need to dry hop because of the higher gravity. Or dilute and toss the extra. Any thoughts?
I would dilute it
I also keep bottled water in the fridge and use it on occasion
you design a recipe to be balanced if you have to much alcohol it can ruin a malty beer like a Marzen
if you let it ride it will be almost 8% way out of style
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I guess I’ll use one of my 2.5gallon spring water containers to pull a gallon from my 5.5 gallon of wort. And dilute the rest with a gallon of water to get close to target. I have an extra pack of US05 that I might add to the pulled gallon and see how it comes out.
 
Or dilute that to the same gravity and blend back in at packaging
 
Heating up strike water, so far so good!
20260909_094103.jpg
 
ESB clone run 2
Mashing at 67 C this time
 

Attachments

  • 20260919_143219.jpg
    20260919_143219.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
Added the massive dry hop charge on Sunday, it is still floating on top. Drew off a sample, just letting it off gas before checking gravity. Smells wicked good already, but will likely pick up more aroma as the hops drop out.
20260922_175057.jpg
 

Back
Top