How we all doing? :)

Brewer #62269

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good Evening peeps,

I hope everyone's is in sparkling form and pushing your brewing skills to the limit.

I'm a newbie transitioning from just kits, to kit hacks/extract, with a renewed love/OCD of beer - but this time it's not harking back to my teens/twenties and early thirties of getting as ripped as I possibly could, but now to actually trying to make lovely tasting (to me) beer.

I returned after more than a decade off (only having done kits before and the only mods that I did then was change the yeast as recommended by LHBS) so was clearing out the attic and found my Dad's old gear so thought why not, got the first batch on, bought two new fermenters a month later and a heap load of other alleged cheap bits and pieces - it doesn't half start to add up!

So decided to keep bottles of each batch of beer I made from Nov 2015 and have a nice wee selection getting ready to go into the fermentation fridge when the next two batches have done lagering (Mid November).

I'm normally a lurker rather than a poster but who knows as this obsession/addiction intensifies maybe I'll be a bit more prominent with my nonsense in the future.

Anyway I slaver but fist thought I should try the etiquette route as opposed to just jumping in with loads of nonsense.

All the best

Hello. I think you'll find all types of brewers here, from those (like me) who do as little as possible to make beer, to those who have to know every chemical and compound name associated with the hobby. No matter which type you are, we're all good!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, its a great site.

Funny you should mention that Trial Ben or should that just be Ben? Anyways I was on a certain auction site last night teasing the life out of myself looking at ACE boilers. The more confident I'm getting the less crazy black magic AG seems - will keep scanning the auction/forums for a bargain since I really can't justify any more expense at the moment - although when I was looking at the price of say a grain bill compared to extract/kit it looks like the initial outlay would be recouped in a few brews. My extract/kit brews are ranging from £15-£20ish for malt (DME/LME) whereas a 6 kg grain bill was costing a tenner for a random lager recipe I was looking at. But then it terms such as decocotion (or whatever) come up and I think just buy the goop its easy.

Thanks again folks - on wards and up wards

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, its a great site.

Funny you should mention that Trial Ben or should that just be Ben? Anyways I was on a certain auction site last night teasing the life out of myself looking at ACE boilers. The more confident I'm getting the less crazy black magic AG seems - will keep scanning the auction/forums for a bargain since I really can't justify any more expense at the moment - although when I was looking at the price of say a grain bill compared to extract/kit it looks like the initial outlay would be recouped in a few brews. My extract/kit brews are ranging from £15-£20ish for malt (DME/LME) whereas a 6 kg grain bill was costing a tenner for a random lager recipe I was looking at. But then it terms such as decocotion (or whatever) come up and I think just buy the goop its easy.

Thanks again folks - on wards and up wards
Hey ask around on here mate flick up a few threads on go to all grain rigs and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. Oh Decoction I've never done a decoction mash ha ha yea it sure is dawnting at first:). Now I'm a boast BIAB brewer have you checked this acronym out throw it in ya search engine. Now this is in my opinion a simple way to All Grain brewing good luck:).

Yep I need to change my forum name and loose the trial

stepping up to AG doesn't need to be expensive or daunting
i use a 21 L stock pot on the stove for 23 L batches with BIAB ( brew in a bag )
you probably already own a decent sized pot large enough to do partial mash , many of the better home brew stores sell pre- cracked grain
mine mills my order and delivers it to me at work for about what an extract batch would cost me , no magic involved but a little science that you can even get away without knowing
heat water , insert grain ,stir and have a beer while the enzymes do the hard work
remove grains , have a beer , boil is identical to extract brewing but you do get more crud in the pot to filter / strain away

Reactions: GPA
I never bothered with extract mashing to me is the fun part. Anyway you don't need to buy a bunch of stuff for all grain. You can do BIAB. I started with a couple pots and a cooler tun. Then I tried biab and haven't looked back. Many ways to mash do what's best for your situation

Back