How to lengthen dry-hop aroma?

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just recently brewed an attempt at a clone of vienna malt / mandarina bavaria SMASH IPA, which turned out quite well. Not quite as intense as the original, but still very aromatic and drinkable...at least for the first few weeks after bottle conditioning (2 weeks).
Now it has been ~4 weeks post conditioning, and the aroma has decreased dramatically. The beer is still drinkable, but alcohol is starting to come through a bit too much as the hop aroma is almost completely dissapearing.
Is there any way of keeping the hop aroma around for longer? My aroma addition at the end of the boil (5 min) was about the same amount as what I dry-hopped (3 days), so I am not sure what I could adjust there.
I know my storage at room temperature is far from ideal, but even commercial beers still have a lot more aroma after 6 weeks at room temperature... :(

You could crush a fresh hop cone and drop it in your glass. It doesn't solve your storage problem, but it can make your existing beer more enjoyable.

Just a thought. I've been drinking.

GernBlanston said:
Just a thought. I've been drinking.
That's when all the best ideas come! :mrgreen:

GernBlanston said:
Thanks for reminding me of this article. I had read it before and completely forgotten about it.
Looks like I should definitely move more of the hops to my late addition.

Y'all figure this one out, let me know. I've pretty much resigned myself to late-hop and whirlpool additions. Dry hopping in my process doesn't produce enough of an effect lasting long enough to be worth the effort.

Now if you kegged your beer you could wait to dry hop until the beer is cold conditioned and carbed up and then add the hops in a bag right before serving, or even add more halfway through the keg.

Back