How to change kettle size in equipment profile

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a way I can specify a 22 qt pot in my equipment profile?

Go under equipment profiles and create it. The boil off and stuff like that is more important though
welcome to the forum.

Go under equipment profiles and create it. The boil off and stuff like that is more important though
welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I'm trying that, but I can't see any way there to specify a 22 qt kettle. Maybe I'm missing something?

I could be mistaken. I do know you can change mash tun volume, and various losses, boil off etc. Do you need the kettle size in there if there stuff is correct? There is also a drop down you may find your equipment?

Is there a way I can specify a 22 qt pot in my equipment profile?
Yes - if you are using it as your mash-tun... If you are only boiling in it then it's not as relevant as the other info. like @Josh Hughes mentioned.

I can help more if you explain your set-up (ie. how you brew). Check out the video for Equipment Profiles - it may help.

YOu can find more videos on the forum under the category Videos and tutorials stickied at the top of the forum section.

Yes - if you are using it as your mash-tun... If you are only boiling in it then it's not as relevant as the other info. like @Josh Hughes mentioned.

I can help more if you explain your set-up (ie. how you brew). Check out the video for Equipment Profiles - it may help.

YOu can find more videos on the forum under the category Videos and tutorials stickied at the top of the forum section.

Thanks, this helps! BIAB 22 qt pot.

Last edited:
I saw this and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, not judging, and do not know your specific circumstance.
BIAB is a full volume boil. You are not going to be able to make very much beer with BIIB in a pot that size.
I bought a 10-gallon kettle when I started extract brewing, which, for that, works awesomely. My neighbor told me, no, buy the 15-gallon. My neighbor was right. A year later, I spend another $150 on another kettle.
I live in a very humid area with a low boil off rate, and I still need 8 gallons of strike water to make 5 gallons of beer with BIIB. That does not include the room for the water to expand as it is heating and the craziness that happens when you add hops.
Also, remember that BIIB is NOT efficient. It is very easy, but not efficient. Make sure to set your efficiency rates accordingly when making recipes.

I saw this and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, not judging, and do not know your specific circumstance.
BIAB is a full volume boil. You are not going to be able to make very much beer with BIIB in a pot that size.
I bought a 10-gallon kettle when I started extract brewing, which, for that, works awesomely. My neighbor told me, no, buy the 15-gallon. My neighbor was right. A year later, I spend another $150 on another kettle.
I live in a very humid area with a low boil off rate, and I still need 8 gallons of strike water to make 5 gallons of beer with BIIB. That does not include the room for the water to expand as it is heating and the craziness that happens when you add hops.
Also, remember that BIIB is NOT efficient. It is very easy, but not efficient. Make sure to set your efficiency rates accordingly when making recipes.

Thanks. I'm scaling down to 2.5 - 3 gallon batches for BIAB. It works out better for me than 5 anyway.

Lots of way to do the job with BIAB; I brew 3.5 gal batches in 4ish gallon pot, use BIAB with a batch sparge, and get around 78% brewhouse efficiency

I guess we all have a preferred method. That is wonderful to get 78%.
My idea of wanting to do BIAB had to do with simplicity as I can do all grain in about the same amount of time as extract in a single vessel. I am good with adding additional grain as the brew store that I am using seems to be pretty consistent with the crush as I am getting used to them.
Having said that, I initially had to play around with BeerSmith a lot to get a ballpark idea of how my grain was converting. I found that I don't convert flaked oats well at all. If somebody new is playing around with a normal BIAB set-up, I just want to make sure they don't beat themself up at missing OG before they look at their efficiency numbers in the software.
I also had to take a step back as I like to share a few bottles, so maybe the 5 gallons that works for me might not work for others. Aaah the small things to learn on a friendly forum:)

I guess we all have a preferred method. That is wonderful to get 78%.
My idea of wanting to do BIAB had to do with simplicity as I can do all grain in about the same amount of time as extract in a single vessel. I am good with adding additional grain as the brew store that I am using seems to be pretty consistent with the crush as I am getting used to them.
Having said that, I initially had to play around with BeerSmith a lot to get a ballpark idea of how my grain was converting. I found that I don't convert flaked oats well at all. If somebody new is playing around with a normal BIAB set-up, I just want to make sure they don't beat themself up at missing OG before they look at their efficiency numbers in the software.
I also had to take a step back as I like to share a few bottles, so maybe the 5 gallons that works for me might not work for others. Aaah the small things to learn on a friendly forum:)
Have you used the brew log in Brewer's Friend? It tracks your efficiency through the whole brew day and tells you your brewhouse efficiency for each batch. All you need is some volume measurements and gravity readings

I may very well play around with that when I get ready. I am trying to set-up time on a Saturday later this month or first weekend in August to do the ESB. This ugly thing called "work" and other things called "chores" get in the way LOL.

Back