How to add Mash Out step to BIAB Recipe

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I couldn't quite figure out how to add a Mash Out step to Mash Guidelines. Also, which of the Mash Types is entered for BIAB if I won't be sparging? Strike? Steeping?

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.36.09 AM.png

I might call it an infusion or fly sparge step.

TBO i quit doing it, made no difference. You are gonna sparge and then boil within 15 minutes usually. Mashout isn't necessary

For a single mash step, with no sparging but a temperature rise to mash out you would use something like the below. Adjust the volumes and temps to your setup as always.

upload_2022-7-24_16-39-39.png

With that said, there shouldn't be any need to do a mashout if you're not sparging.

To be clear, the purpose of a mashout is to lock in the fermentability of the wort so it doesn't change during a prolonged fly sparge, and it is ever so slightly helpful for grain bills with high amounts of flaked grains that contain large amounts of beta-glucan such as flaked oats or rye.

Since you're using a bag or basket of some kind presumably, and not performing a long hour (or more!) fly sparge, there's no need to do a mashout. If you're seeing differences in conversion and a raise in gravity, then you should probably look at your mash conditions themselves to improve the mash instead.

Back