How soon before serving to dry hop?

bilhelm96

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my Double IPA for a party on December 13. For my process I ferment/clear in primary for three weeks then transfer to a keg. I dry hop in keg (I have a lid with a tab so I can remove the dry hops), chill, carbonate and serve. My question is: does is make sense to hold off on dry hopping until mid-late November? I know hop flavor and aroma fade over time, but how much difference will a month make?

hops do fade especially the last dry hop, some times it taste better after fading some times not

if the final dry hop is crucial to the taste I would wait till 2 weeks before the serving day to dry hop, in some cases Ive left mine in too long and it develops a bad taste, and some times wont go away.

the issue with dry hopping too late is cloudiness, I personally could care less what it looks like, taste is more important to me so in the end its up to you

another thing i'm doing lately is just hop in the serving keg, I use a double or tripled bag so hop partials don't end up in the glass. it falls to the bottom and the beer sucks through the hops right into your glass ... first couple of beers out will be very milky and hoppy flavor but it will even out in time

Back