How many IBUs?

Lexaton

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi

Newbie question from England here... I add all of my hops to the boil at flame out or '0' mins for 30 mins in the wort and then cool with the immersion chiller, which cools the wort to yeast pitching temperature in about 30 mins... My question is using Brewers friend recipie builder what time should I set the time I add my hops at to calculate my correct IBUs?

Does that make sense?

Thanks

IBUs? are not calculated at 0, any other time they are and the closer to 0 the less IBUs? you have, the further to the starting boil the more you have

Lexaton said:
Hi

I add all of my hops to the boil at flame out or '0' mins for 30 mins ...

Thanks

I'm not understanding.
When are you adding hops?
You should be putting hops in during boil, not only at '0' minutes.

You're counting down, assuming a 60 minute boil (pretty typical), you should have a 60 minute hop addition. You might have another 30 or 15 or whatever (minutes remaining in boil), depending on what you are making. At '0' you are just adding aroma hops and IBUs are very little depending on how you handle it from that point on.

MrBIP said:
Lexaton said:
Hi

I add all of my hops to the boil at flame out or '0' mins for 30 mins ...

Thanks

I'm not understanding.
When are you adding hops?
You should be putting hops in during boil, not only at '0' minutes.

You're counting down, assuming a 60 minute boil (pretty typical), you should have a 60 minute hop addition. You might have another 30 or 15 or whatever (minutes remaining in boil), depending on what you are making. At '0' you are just adding aroma hops and IBUs are very little depending on how you handle it from that point on.

Hi

I add 100-150g of hops at flameout... at that quantity it imparts a lot of bitterness to the beer, but I don't know how to calculate it using the recipe builder... is it the equivalent of that mass being added with 15 or 10 minutes?

Sorry to be needy... any help appreciated!

As I understand it, IBUs can only be calculated when the hops are actually boiled.
What you are doing is steeping the hops, which will most certainly impart a bitter flavor, but not one that can be measured in IBUs.

Edit: ignore above, see below... ;)

Even added at 0 minutes, hops will continue to be utilized until cooled. If I were trying to calculate it I'd estimate using the no-chill option in the recipe builder.
Hope this helps
Brian

Thanks very much ... will investigate the 'no chill' option! :mrgreen:

Whenever I use additions @ flameout I use the whirlpool option with 10% utilization, and put the amount of minutes until I start cooling. Changing the utilization % will add or subtract IBU's, so you can adjust your utilization % depending on what you taste.

Just used the whirlpool option Ugliestlemming, and got about 45IBUs... You are a star!

Ta very much"

Back