How long is the primary?

My understanding is that you should NOT add "chocolate bars" to your beer because of the oils.
I have used "chocolate nibs" in a cranberry chocolate stout, these should be available for you to buy.
From the advice I received I soaked them in rum in a sealed jar for a period of time, and added that to the fermenter.
I used 112 grams soaked in about about 250ml of rum for a 5 gallon batch.
The other thing you can do to accentuate the chocolate flavor is to add vanilla as well, it actually brings out the chocolate flavor.
I used pure vanilla extract, forget how much (not a lot).
I added both to the beer when it was time to package.

My understanding is that you should NOT add "chocolate bars" to your beer because of the oils.
I have used "chocolate nibs" in a cranberry chocolate stout, these should be available for you to buy.
From the advice I received I soaked them in rum in a sealed jar for a period of time, and added that to the fermenter.
The other thing you can do to accentuate the chocolate flavor is to add vanilla as well, it actually brings out the chocolate flavor.
I use cacao nibs in my chocolate milk stout all the time. Never done anything but throw them in my dry hop filter. 4oz(113g) for a 5 gallon batch.

You have it right, the oils are the concern. I'm not sure they will completely boil off but give it a try and let's see what happens. The effect that the oils will have is reduced amount of foam or head on top of the beer.

I think using chocolate bars present two problems. One is that the oils will affect head retention. And the other is that most of the chocolate flavor and aroma won't make it through to the final beer. Neither will ruin the beer. So, no harm in trying it. Like others, I have only used cocoa nibs. Also, in the recesses of my mind (a scary place to go) I seem to remember using a chocolate bar with a high percentage of cocao was acceptable. It certainly would be better than using a milk chocolate bar.

3. Would you recommend adding Whirlfloc-G to the boil (this recipe does not have this in it)
4. Does adding choc (with sugar) add sweetness to the beer, or does this just raise the alcohol level. If you want sweeter beer would you add lactose in the boil, or does the choc bars do that?

3. I always add whirlfloc at the 10 minute mark.
4. Sugar will dry the beer out (therefore less sweetness). Lactose is the best way to add sweetness. Sugar will also give the yeast more food and that will increase the alcohol level. However, unless you are adding a lot of chocolate bars, I think the alcohol increase would be minor.

Personally I avoid cocoa powder ..the stuff doesn't mix even when boiled and I end up with it all over the bottom of the kettle. I do use nibs and soak them in whiskey for a week and then usually poor nibs and whiskey all in to the fermenter after two weeks of fermentation. For lactose I add it to the fermenter when I pitch yeast. I shake my wort to get oxygen in it and its a good time to add the lactose and then take a final gravity reading. I don't like to put lactose in hot wort.

Thankyou -very helpful

Thankyou -very helpful
Glad to help!
I just looked it up, I added slightly less than 1ml per gallon of pure vanilla extract.
First batch was approximately 10 gallons packaged and I had added 8ml.
For what it costs, don't buy the cheap artificial vanilla extract.
Some add vanilla bean(s) to their tincture of vodka or rum and the cocoa nibs.
Some fancy people make sure that they get the Madagascar vanilla beans harvested by virgins in white dresses:rolleyes:

Glad to help!
I just looked it up, I added slightly less than 1ml per gallon of pure vanilla extract.
Some fancy people make sure that they get the Madagascar vanilla beans harvested by virgins in white dresses:rolleyes:
I let them wear any color dress they like. :cool:

Glad to help!
Hilarious - lol - thank you

Back