How long is the primary?

Passer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers. I have a really basic question - sorry (am just starting out). I am trying out the white choc macadamia nut stout recipe (ref 885116) and the brewer indicates adding the beans after primary (as below)

8oz Chocolate Macadamia Nut Whole Coffee Beans added to fermentor after primary.

How long is the primary period and do you always need to transfer to a secondary vessel for the secondary period?

Thank you

Primary is generally done once you think your fermentation is finished. Most people wait until the gravity hasn't changed for 2-3 days.

Do you have something to measure your gravity? If you don't, 10 - 14 days is fairly standard. Yours is a medium to big beer, so I'd think closer to 14 days.

That said, I'd add the various flavourings listed in the notes once your seeing little to no activity in your airlock. Then give them 4 - 7 days before bottling. Ideally you'd want more time to really get the flavours, but it's probably not worth the risk for a first batch. If you like the beer maybe a tincture would work better for your next batch. I'm assuming you're not yet kegging your beer, but if you are follow the directions in the notes instead.

And, no you don't have to always transfer to a secondary vessel. Unless it's going to be a nightmare cleaning the various flavourings out of your primary vessel I'd just use that.

Link for others wanting to see the recipe - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/885116/white-chocolate-macadamia-nut-white-stout

What Mark said, but with coffee beans, usually a day is fine. That's a personal thing, but it can infuse pretty quickly so you may want to bag them for easy removal.
And, way to start off Big! Haha.
Cheers
Brian

Its hard to say when. Its done when its done. Either use a hydrometer or refractometer to determine it.

I have never used a secondary. Don't see the need

What Mark said, but with coffee beans, usually a day is fine. That's a personal thing, but it can infuse pretty quickly so you may want to bag them for easy removal.
And, way to start off Big! Haha.
Cheers
Brian
Definitely don't go too long on the coffee beans. They start to get herbal and far less enjoyable after a while. So Brew Mentor's bag and remove it after a few days suggestion is a good one. I generally add them for 1-2 days.

Indeed what all the above already said and yes secondaries are kind of a thing from home brewing way back when.
That is quite an ambitious brew for your 1st time out .......what are you gonna follow up with and welcome to the forum!

Primary is generally done once you think your fermentation is finished. Most people wait until the gravity hasn't changed for 2-3 days.

Do you have something to measure your gravity? If you don't, 10 - 14 days is fairly standard. Yours is a medium to big beer, so I'd think closer to 14 days.

That said, I'd add the various flavourings listed in the notes once your seeing little to no activity in your airlock. Then give them 4 - 7 days before bottling. Ideally you'd want more time to really get the flavours, but it's probably not worth the risk for a first batch. If you like the beer maybe a tincture would work better for your next batch. I'm assuming you're not yet kegging your beer, but if you are follow the directions in the notes instead.

And, no you don't have to always transfer to a secondary vessel. Unless it's going to be a nightmare cleaning the various flavourings out of your primary vessel I'd just use that.

Link for others wanting to see the recipe - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/885116/white-chocolate-macadamia-nut-white-stout
Thank you - that is very helpful

Indeed what all the above already said and yes secondaries are kind of a thing from home brewing way back when.
That is quite an ambitious brew for your 1st time out .......what are you gonna follow up with and welcome to the forum!
Thank you - I am currently brewing a choc vanilla stout that is about to get chilled for 2 days before bottling. Will see how that goes - no fancy stuff here just following a basic recipe I bought with a starter kit. I will let you know how this new white stout recipe goes. The help is really appreciated.

You have some good answers here.
Just curious, are you by chance Canadian?
If so, your apology is showing;)
No, Australian haha - I apologised as it seemed a dumbass question - I looked on Youtube and Google blogs/posts and most brewers referred to primary and secondary as though the viewer automatically knew what they were and how long to brew for etc- but none specified the times and if/if not you need to go to a secondary.

No, Australian haha - I apologised as it seemed a dumbass question - I looked on Youtube and Google blogs/posts and most brewers referred to primary and secondary as though the viewer automatically knew what they were and how long to brew for etc- but none specified the times and if/if not you need to go to a secondary.
I have never, ever done a "secondary". There is no need for a secondary fermentation, and transferring to a second vessel just increases the change for picking up an infection.
Let's just call it fermentation, how long for fermentation. There are a lot of factors as discussed above.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!
Cheers

I have never, ever done a "secondary". There is no need for a secondary fermentation, and transferring to a second vessel just increases the change for picking up an infection.
Let's just call it fermentation, how long for fermentation. There are a lot of factors as discussed above.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!
Cheers
Thank you - this really helps

agree with others. I don't even do secondary. In fact I let all my beers sit for a month in the fermenter. It helps make sure that the yeast has time to reabsorb diacetyl. It you take it off the yeast cake you can end up with off flavors. What off flavors the yeast givith during fermentation .... the yeast taketh away with time. I do, however, move the wort to a bottling bucket if I am going to bottle it. For kegging I Don't bother because I use a floating dip tube.

There are times when you do need to transfer to a secondary vessel. For me the only time I transfer to a secondary vessel is when bulk aging something like a Scottish Wee Heavy for 9-12 months. The only reason I do that is to get the beer off the yeast cake. I don't know how long you can leave your beer on the yeast cake before the possibility problems arise but, it's definitely a couple months or more. Note in this case there is no second fermentation so calling it a secondary fermentation is a extremely common misnomer.

Hi guys - thank you for the advice. I am about to start this beer. I have a few more questions if I may.

1. I am unclear whether the white choc powder specified in the notes is dairy-free or not - does dairy matter (I have read some brewers use dairy choc and others say don't). I can't get dairy-free white choc powder here in Queensland, Australia so have purchased dairy-free white chocolate bars as a replacement.
2. I intend to put the white choc bars in the boil. Any suggestions about when to add this (as I understand oils need to boil off)?
3. Would you recommend adding Whirlfloc-G to the boil (this recipe does not have this in it)
4. Does adding choc (with sugar) add sweetness to the beer, or does this just raise the alcohol level. If you want sweeter beer would you add lactose in the boil, or does the choc bars do that?

Thank you for your help - it is really appreciated.

Diary is generally avoided because of the oils. I've only used dark chocolate, not milk, so don't know how much survives through the boil. What's the ingredients in the dairy free bars? I'm thinking in the boil for at least 30 minutes sounds a safe bet, but maybe even longer.

If the sugar in the bars is cane/corn/beet sugar then it'll just add extra alcohol. If you want the dairy sweetness use lactose. You can add it during the boil, or make a paste with boiling water and add it later. Whatever is simpler for you. It's not likely to be carrying extra microorganisms, but better to be safe.

Back