How do you store your pump?

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So after yesterday's session while cleaning up it dawned on me that I never really did much more than give a rinse of clean water to it then covered my barb connectors with some saran wrap to keep any bugs out and called it a day. Now this might be ok as I only use my pump for moving hot water and no wort.

So...how about you all? How do you store your pump between sessions?

Mine is stripped down. I've found it easier to strip everything down and clean it than to try to clean in place.

Mine's inside the Brewzilla so, a good rinse, drain best I can, and hope it dries out eventually.

mine is permanently connected. When I clean After A Brew I run PBW Through it. never had an Issue

I clean in place PBW hot rinse then starsan. I leave the valve open so airflow dries inbetween use then a quick squirt through with hose before use.

Every other brew day I strip and clean gunk does build up on the impeller I've found hops mostly.

Yes, it sees wort almost exclusively.

I did disassemble the brewzilla to inspect the insides of the pump once, but found absolutely nothing of concern. I do run PBW through the system once in a while (not often) but since this is all on the hot side, heat sterilizes or sanitizes everything.

Indeed, a water rinse is usually all I do, but logically PBW will be better.

Used to use an external pump and now mainly use an internal. Rinse with soapy water, then with clean water, then pump a few litres of 60-70C hot water (after I've used that in the kettle) and leave it open to the air to dry. Wort is the only thing I'm using it to pump.

Alright then...I'm sticking with my low maintenance approach to a hot flush before and after! Thanks BrewersFriends!

I use two, one for primary to secondary, the other for secondary to keg. I just used the latter today. I noted that the beer going in was "smooth", but coming out, it had tiny carbonation bubbles. Oh, well, a 57 day old beer should be finished.

Anyway, I run Star-san through the racking tube, pump, tubes, and keg connector before kegging.

The pumps bolted to the brew stand are circulated with chorinated dairy pipeline detergent and then a hot acid rinse. Pull the heads off every 3rd brew or so. Have yet to find any buildup to speak of, but then, they probably run more in the "flush and clean" cycle than they do when I'm brewing.

I use two, one for primary to secondary, the other for secondary to keg. I just used the latter today. I noted that the beer going in was "smooth", but coming out, it had tiny carbonation bubbles. Oh, well, a 57 day old beer should be finished.

Anyway, I run Star-san through the racking tube, pump, tubes, and keg connector before kegging.
That could be Turbulence . from air in the Pump. also could be Co2 Coming out of Solution from The Suction The Pump create s

Last edited:
Yeah id be hesitant to pump finished beer at risk of oxidation co2 seems like a safer approach to moving beer around...

At the end of brew i heat a couple gallons of water to boiling and flush the pump and plate chiller. drain both and store on shelf as above.

After cleaning my brew kettle (with Oxyclean), I hook up the pump and run it for a few minutes. It's the same configuration when I'm chilling or whirlpooling. I then rinse with hot tap water. To dry it I hang one hose end in front of the forced air furnace vent. It provides enough air current to dry the hoses and pump in a few hours. I mainly do this for the hoses as the insides of them take forever to dry.

Yup I'm all for air drying
20210707_161035.jpg
I mounted pump slightly downwards to hopefully help drainage valve on outlet is open for airflow.
20210707_161045.jpg
when I built the brew cabinet I built it with hose hanging in mind.

Back