How do you guys measure room temp?

Stout@TheDevil

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm in California so I'm mostly trying to make sure the place I put my fermenters doesn't get too hot. I can't seem to find an amp. Would the thermometer I use to measure liquid temp be accurate? Say in a closet or garage? I'm working on a chest freezer, heating pad set up for the future, but for now, am I just rolling the dice by setting them in empty closets?

Thanks.

For most ales, you want 68 degrees F +/- about 2 degrees. A little warmer or cooler won't matter so much as long as the temperature is fairly stable - temperature swings tend to cause more harm than a steady temperature a degree or two off. And it's not that accurate anyway - yeast can make enough heat to warm the carboy several degrees! So if I were using ambient temperature to keep my fermentation cool, I'd shoot for about 65 degrees, constant temperature.

Yes you can use that thermometer, but it will take it a few minutes to read air temperature.

Water is more dense than air and takes longer to change temperature. It would be the median temperature of the place you want to ferment in. I condition my storage keg in my garage it always seems cool in there.

The only other way I know of to keep ferment temps stable is the swamp cooler method.

I'm almost a year in and have never used any sort of temp control (also live in CA too). It's on the list of things to upgrade but I think it gets more attention/blame than it deserves. As long as you pick a yeast that works well in the range you'll ferment in you've got nothing to worry about. For example in the middle of Summer I brewed a Saison I knew could ferment into the 80's and only get better because of it. Cheers!

room temp in my house is 70 to 72, in most yeast that's the end temp for fermentation, never start it there you'll ferment too fast and too hot

California has many many many different climates. I live in the northern central valley and we can hit 110 in the summer 28 in winter. I can tell you that getting a temp controlled fermenter had a huge impact on my brewing. I ferment other things besides beer. Not sure if my correlation is correct but I could never get beer or pickles or sauerkraut or kimchi right until I got my chest freezer fermenting chamber. That was the single biggest breakthrough in my short brewing career and worth every penny. If I lived on the coast I might have a different opinion but I think the two most important controls in brewing are mash and fermentation Temps. Cold crashing is an awesome thing.

My basement is pretty reliably 19C except during the hot parts of summer where my temperatures when completely bug nut. I have my garage set for 8C in the winter for lagering purposes now that I realize I can use my garage for that.

Chico I definitely agree it may depend on where you live but more importantly on if you have somewhere dark that can be maintained at a reasonable temp. I'll definitely give you cold crashing though because I do wish I could do that!

Back