How do I create a recipe for maximum ethanol production?

Wolfsfriend42

Trial Member
Reaction score
How do I create a recipe for maximum ethanol production in a 5-gallon batch size? The first one will be only white cane sugar aka sucrose & water.

I require a minimum of 20% ABV after fermentation.

NO, this is not for human consumption!!!

I am trying to find out exactly how much sugar is required to utilize the full 22% ABV that DADY yeast can provide during fermentation.

How do I create a recipe for maximum ethanol production in a 5-gallon batch size? The first one will be only white cane sugar aka sucrose & water.

I am trying to find out exactly how much sugar is required to utilize the full 22% ABV that DADY yeast can provide during fermentation.
Plug your sugar into the calculator here and btach size yeast type and Enzymes and It'll spit out a potential ABV % for you

It will come down to your yeasts alcohol tolerance.
Turbo yeast is used here in aus for distillation fermentations.

I do not know how much sugar to add to a 5 gallon batch to potentially give 22% ABV.

Is there no way to have this software fill in the amount of sugar?

I would look at turbo yeast that distillers use for making hooch. Tolerates high alcohol better

I'd say if you had your process down you could probably hit around 15% ABV with fermentation. Then you could use cold/ice based distillation to push yourself to 20%. That way you don't need a still, which would push you past 20% anyway and you'd be diluting back down to your target.

You're not going to get to 20% ABV with just yeast, water sugar and some yeast nutrients. You're going to need to do a distillation step after the brewing to reach that number.

You are incorrect. I threw together a bunch of canned fruits & canned yams last year and it fermented out to 21.2% ABV.

I'd say if you had your process down you could probably hit around 15% ABV with fermentation. Then you could use cold/ice based distillation to push yourself to 20%. That way you don't need a still, which would push you past 20% anyway and you'd be diluting back down to your target.
Why will no one answer my specific question(s)? Instead they tell me that it is impossible to do what I have already done using different ingredients. SMH

It seems that these people can only believe what they are told to believe instead of facts in front of their faces. Think outside the freaking box for once.

Why will no one answer my specific question(s)? Instead they tell me that it is impossible to do what I have already done using different ingredients. SMH

It seems that these people can only believe what they are told to believe instead of facts in front of their faces. Think outside the freaking box for once.
Open the recipe builder. Enter your batch size and yeast type and "guess and check" amounts of cane sugar until you hit your target ABV. Or use the "goal" button under fermentables to calculate weights. Or find a different recipe builder and forum to use.

Open the recipe builder. Enter your batch size and yeast type and "guess and check" amounts of cane sugar until you hit your target ABV. Or use the "goal" button under fermentables to calculate weights. Or find a different recipe builder and forum to use.

Oh and don't be a dick to strangers on the internet that are just trying to help, SMH
They were not trying to help, they were saying I was a liar. That what I did actually did not occur.
I apologize for thinking this was a professional forum. I now know it is not and is full of trolls. I will call a professor at MIT and get a real answer that you people can't comprehend.

They were not trying to help, they were saying I was a liar. That what I did actually did not occur.
I apologize for thinking this was a professional forum. I now know it is not and is full of trolls. I will call a professor at MIT and get a real answer that you people can't comprehend.
Lol, people were trying to give advice on a subject we don't do here.
Might as well ask how to rebuild engines.

As for calling you a lier, no one did that. You asked a question, assuming you did not know how to accomplish your task. Then you reveal you already know how, so who's the troll again?

Several people tried to help you with the recipe calculator, including myself. Did we answer your question?

You asked a a bunch of brewers about something vaguely adjacent to beer brewing, but not really related to beer brewing but then didn't give all of the information (such as methods you've tried in the past that were successful as reference).

Most of us are not professional brewers and this is not a professional forum. We do this for fun.

We are very welcoming and helpful to beginner brewers. I hope you can find your answer here, but please keep in mind that the vast majority are not brewing above 20% ABV on a normal basis.

Is there anything else we can try to (reasonably) help you with?

It's actually easy to figure out based on the ppg of the sugar you're using and the expected attenuation your yeast can get you to.
Getting it done however is more about your process.

That being said coming onto a forum and being an Ass to people who are trying to help you, won't likely get you the answers you're looking for.

Somewhere I have seen "Champaign " yeasts will tolerate the higher alchohol productions.
After the previous conversation, I was just curious if they would go that high?

Somewhere I have seen "Champaign " yeasts will tolerate the higher alchohol productions.
After the previous conversation, I was just curious if they would go that high?
Lalvin EC1118 and Red Star Cuvee will both got to 18% if handled correctly.
I've gotten Turbo yeast to 21%

Consider "inverting" the cane sugar by boiling it with some acid (cream of tartar, lactic acid, etc.), to split it into more easily fermentable form for the yeast. They'll be working hard. If you want ethanol, use turbo yeast. I think that turbo yeast already includes nutrients. If you intend to drink it, try champagne yeast as recommended by @The Brew Mentor. Add a ton of yeast nutrients and time, as is usual with a seltzer recipe.

You're not going to get to 20% ABV with just yeast, water sugar and some yeast nutrients. You're going to need to do a distillation step after the brewing to reach that number.
exactly Turbo yeast is terrible btw. I mean I know you said it wasn't for consumption but ...I'm reading between the lines on what you intend to do. Yeast has a max tolerance of what 23%? That's not hard and fast obviously it could a bit higher but no one really pushes it because it would stress the yeast causing off flavors. Plus there is only one reason I can think of to try to get that high an ABV and it isn't for beer or wine lol.

As far as I can tell, the recipe builder cannot scale to your desired ABV - However, as SnailHouse and TrialBen mentioned, you can select your yeast from the yeast tab and then type "Cane" or "Sugar" into the fermentables tab and select "cane sugar". Type in an amount and adjust it until you get the abv to where you want it. - I started with 20 pounds and dropped it down until the abv hit 20% - which for me was 17.5 lbs exactly w/ exactly 20% abv. and 19.5 lbs = 22.28%.

Most of us being beer, hard cider and/or mead makers/brewers were obviously a bit piqued by your request and it appears a started a conversation that strayed from your initial question - which was about the recipe builder in general. Sorry about that. However, I don't think anyone was trying to call you a liar.

Now, as I mentioned above, I did find a way to find out how much sugar using the recipe builder but I do not think it was as cut and dry as you'd hoped. - After using the builder I did a simple search on the web: "how much sugar do I need to make a solution that will achieve 20 abv with Dady yeast" - the very first link that popped up was:
https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...g/14514521-distilling-potential-alcohol-table

(click and scroll down - it has a nice chart and it does say 17 lbs will achieve 20% in 5 gallons (10% in 10 gallons)

Last edited:

Back