How different grain effects brewing

dave althouse

Trial Member
Reaction score
How do different grain effect the outcome of brewing? Is there a list of the different types of grain and what they could do to brewing. Let's say I want to increase head retention, what would I add. If you want to brew a specific style of beer what grain do you use. Just wondering.

davea

Palmer's "How to Brew". There's the Brewing Elements installment called "Malt" but that's spectacularly unhelpful. Malt has enough protein in it to give beer a head, so if head retention is a problem, I wouldn't start with malt. I'd start with cleanliness: Oils or soaps are amazingly efficient head destroyers. If you're washing your glasses in the dishwasher and using a rinse aid, you're coating your glasses with surfactants - soap-like compounds that both cause the water to sheet off the glasses and destroy beer head with their residue. If you're still having problems, make sure you're not doing a protein rest. Most modern malts do not need it. Then, and only then, look to your grist. Head-encouraging malts are wheat malt and dextrine malts.

Back