How can i scale a recipe?

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I just bought the premium account just for a month to try it out, I can't find the option ''scale''
I want to scale a recipe from 19L to 150, is this posible?

Hello
I just bought the premium account just for a month to try it out, I can't find the option ''scale''
I want to scale a recipe from 19L to 150, is this posible?
I'll let someone else chime in, but i know there is a scale function.

You can do it manually too. :p

150 / 19 = 7.9

I'll let someone else chime in, but i know there is a scale function.

You can do it manually too. :p

150 / 19 = 7.9
I want to make sure this work because i think changing the liters lets say x10 is not changing everything x10… (or not?)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-20-22-35-26-480_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-20-22-35-26-480_com.android.chrome.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 35
Whoa...so roughly 5 gallons to 40 gallons...I've thought about this but never really thought it through...how do the times scale out? Ya know...60 minute mash, 60 minute boil and such, how does this scale out with the given interruptions and the loss of temperature when you add a 1/2 pound, ~.230 kilos of hops...what are you using to get 40 gallons of water to a boil? Not really a "Home" brewing set up I assume?

ENGINEERS!!??

I can't find this option!

Good evening,

I see that others here have already pointed you in the general direction, but I wanted to explicitly point out that the screenshot that you took in your response is from the "Brew Session" view. This part of the system involves all of the procedural steps for a given recipe as you walk through your brew day and beyond. In order to scale the recipe, you will need to do two things: open the recipe back up in the "Recipe Editor" to scale it to the desired volume, then you will rebuild the brew steps in your brew session to reflect the updated volumes. Details follow.

1. From your brew session view, look for the "Recipe" button at the top-right of the page and click on it
  2. This will open the recipe up in the recipe editor, now find the "Recipe Tools" near the top of the page and choose the "Scale" option
  3. Choose the new volume for your recipe (and optionally adjust your expected efficiency) then click "Scale"
  4. This should adjust your recipes' volumes and ingredient quantities, take a moment to verify that everything looks approximately correct
  5. Click on the "Save" button at the top-right of the recipe editor to save with the new volume
  6. Navigate back to the brew session that you were previously using ("My Brewing" >> "My Brew Sessions")
  7. You should see that the volumes in the top recipe summary should already reflect the new volumes for the recipe, however, if you click on "Brew Steps", you will see old volumes in the individual steps' instructions. These need to be manually updated to reflect the new volumes.
  8. Under the "Edit" tab you will find a section labeled "Rebuild Steps" with a button below that labeled "Rebuild Brew", click on this button to rebuild the recipe steps with the updated volumes
  9. Continue happily brewing!
Typically you would scale your recipe before creating a brew session, but in the event that you go back and modify any recipe after creating a brew session in the future, you can follow these same steps.

Cheers,

-b-

View attachment 25768
Is this app?
Why is different to me?
Some admin please help

You're so close! You are currently viewing the recipe, not editing it. If you find the "Edit" button at the top-right of the page and click on it, you'll find the recipe editor where you'll find the "Scale" option appear under the "Recipe Tools" dropdown.

-b-

You're so close! You are currently viewing the recipe, not editing it. If you find the "Edit" button at the top-right of the page and click on it, you'll find the recipe editor where you'll find the "Scale" option appear under the "Recipe Tools" dropdown.

-b-
So i found it.
The problem was that i was trying to scale a recipe, but in reality i should trying to scale "my recipe"
So i copied and then i scale it
Thanks for helping me!

Whoa...so roughly 5 gallons to 40 gallons...I've thought about this but never really thought it through...how do the times scale out? Ya know...60 minute mash, 60 minute boil and such, how does this scale out with the given interruptions and the loss of temperature when you add a 1/2 pound, ~.230 kilos of hops...what are you using to get 40 gallons of water to a boil? Not really a "Home" brewing set up I assume?

ENGINEERS!!??
I will build a system like this for friend microbrewery
200L kettle with gas, and another one 200 liters with electric heater controlled by electronical sensors to maintain stable temperature for wort.
150 liters fermentetion.
I'm not yet sure to answer those questions but I will be in few months from now
I'm sure will be a different timeframe any advice is welcome

Can you be more specific?
Hop utilization is different.
Evaporation rate changes.
Sparge rate changes. As does type in most cases.
Lautering and efficiency can both change.
Cooling / chilling time changes so that can effect IBU's
That's a start.
When I scale a recipe, it typically takes me about 30 minutes to get it close enough to brew and then make adjustments based on the results.
Food for thought! Haha
Cheers,
Brian

What Brian said

There's also some research that shows that flavor forward fermentables like dark malts in stout may also change their impact to the flavor profile based on a lb/gallon of wort basis and not necessarily scale with efficiency (for flavor). This, to me at least, is the biggest indicator why commercial recipes don't taste the same when brewing on a homebrew scale. It's much more complicated than just linear adjustment, and hitting your OG/FG/IBU.

Where in the scaling up from the typical 5 G or 19 L batch do things start to no longer be linear? I've only doubled a 5 gallon batch and that mostly impacted my heat up and cooling time slots but not much else.

Where in the scaling up from the typical 5 G or 19 L batch do things start to no longer be linear? I've only doubled a 5 gallon batch and that mostly impacted my heat up and cooling time slots but not much else.
I started to notice the most difference when I got to 3 times the size of a typical batch.

I started to notice the most difference when I got to 3 times the size of a typical batch.

Ok so..8 times and you WILL most definitely encounter differences. I didn't know what I know now about brewing beer when I built my rig and figured a 15 gallon kettle would at least give me a little less than a third space for controlling boil overs with a double batch...hell...I've had near boil overs with just 8 gallons of sweet wort coming up to a boil in that kettle!

Back