How can I get the same AAU's in a Brew Session?

time2brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've entered a recipe for BierMuncher's Centennial Blond (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centenn ... all-42841/) into Brewer's Friend and am now creating a Brew Session based on this recipe. The hops I'm using have lower AA values than those in the original recipe. Is it possible to get Brewer's Friend to automatically adjust the hop amounts to achieve the same AAU's when creating a Brew Session?

Also, I'd placed my hops into the Brewer's Friend inventory but none of the hops appeared in the Brew Session Options inventory list when I click on "Brew!". Is this because the hop AA's in my inventory don't match the AA's in the recipe?

TIA

You will need to up the amounts to get the same AAU's. The recipe editor does not do that automatically at present. However, what you should really worry about is IBUs. Only adjust the bittering hops (the 60 minute boil hops). Late addition hops don't contribute to bitterness, but they do to flavor and aroma (which is independent of AA or AAUs). If you want to replicate the recipe exactly, stick with the same hop amounts for any addition under 10 minutes.

The recipe calls for 21 IBU. I'd target that by adjusting the first two additions (the 55 minute and the 35 minute).

On the inventory - correct, it must be the same name, AA, and type to be a match.

always remember that a recipe is relevant to the software it was made on, no 2 are the same, usually very close but not identical so in many cases close is fine

AAUs are the percentage of alpha acid multiplied by the amount of hops (in ounces) used. 10 AAU can be 2 oz of 5% AAU hops, 1 oz of 10% AAU hops or 5 oz of 2% AAU hops. From there, it's a simple matter of solving the proportions to determine how much of the new hop you need. If you know the AAU you need and the %AA of the hops, all you need do is divide the AAU by the %AA to get the amount you need.

Bump

I was very disappointed to find out these to missing components on this application :shock:
Turns out it will not deduct the hops if inventory alpha differs from the recipe nor will the brewing process give any chance to scale hops.
Why is it not possible during brewing session to calculate the amount of hops based on CURRENT alpha compare with recipe?
Every time I buy hops, I should make a snapshot of the recipe, and edit it to my actual hops? Which is would be a pain in the ass, because during recipe build you can't calculate the amount of hops given alpha and IBU.
Perhaps I should have done better research, but I was in thinking such basic features would exist in the software.

Please tell me I'm wrong and overlooking some features ?

Back