How big a mash tun is too big

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Basquebrewing, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Basquebrewing

Basquebrewing New Member

Looking to go all grain soon so looking into buying mash tuns. I currently have a kettle that is only big enough for 5 or 6 gallon batches but would be interested in scaling up to 10 gallons in the future. The question I want to ask is should I buy a mash tun/ hot liquor tank for the bigger size to save money in the future. The problem I is would mashing a smaller batch in a big mash tun cause problems, I am guessing mainly with maintaining a temperature.

Any help would be appreciated

2. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

I love my 48 qt Igloo square cooler mash tun. It works well for 5 and 10 gallon batches.
    Always pre-heat the tun with your strike water and you shouldn't have trouble maintaining temperature.
    I like the square or rectangular coolers because u can easily make a manifold out of CPVC. With the round ones you either use a false bottom (expensive) or a bazooka screen( prone to clog).
    You can make a mash tun out of a number of vessels and they all have pluses and minuses.
    Good luck
    Brian

3. Basquebrewing

Basquebrewing New Member

Thanks that fits with other info I read. I think I will definitely go with the bigger option.

On a related note, A home brew shop here in Spain sell a 70 litre (about 74 quarts) stainless steell insulated cooler. Thinking of getting two of these for mash tun and hot liquor tank with the idea that the HLT could have a heating element put in at a later date. Anybody have any experience with the stainless steel cooler and or converting them to electrical heaters?

4. surfmase

surfmase Member

5. Basquebrewing

Basquebrewing New Member

Thanks Surfmase. Do you know if that is used to bring the water to temperature, or to maintain temp?

6. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

That might be used to maintain temperature but it would take forever to heat a mash with it.

7. TheZel66

TheZel66 Member

I've been grain brewing now for about 18 years. Always used a 5 gallon igloo cooler for my mash tun. I never had a problem keeping the temperature constant. Recently, I picked up a 10 gallon cooler (from northern brewer - not igloo brand). I have noticed that the temperature does drop for small batches. More airspace is the issue, especially if you uncover to stir the mash every so often. (15 minutes is what I do).

So if you're just starting out, and you want to make beers no bigger than 1.065 to start, I would go with a 5 gallon.

8. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I've found that stirring the mash for single-infusion mashes is mostly unnecessary. I add grain to my water, stir until the grain is wetted and there are no dough balls, take a temperature and pH reading, cover the tun and do something else for an hour. My conversion efficiency ranges in the mid-70 percent range.

9. GernBlanston

GernBlanston New Member

I hate those doughy balls.