How about a Vienna + MO with 3C (Centennial Citra Cascade)?

ips

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've done a few home brews, but still very amateur in making my own recipes. I have 2kg of MO and enough hops to do an IPA (15L batch). Have about 20g Magnum, 10g Cascade, 50g Citra and 40g Centennial. I usually use MO + Munich, or Caramel malt... but wanted to try something new this time. I have never used Vienna before, and after reading that many people use it as a base grain quite often, thought I could give it a try. So I was planning to do:

Grain:
2kg MO (EBC 4-6, ~48%)
2kg Vienna (EBC 5-8, ~48%)
200g Carahell (EBC 25-40, ~4%; mostly for the colour, to get to ~6 SRM)

I usually do a 60 min boil (at 67 C), but last time I did a 90 min boil with a MO smash, and was great (rich colour and taste, higher ABV). So was thinking to do the same this time.

Hop schedule (pellets)
20g Magnum @60
10g Centennial @5
10g each (Citra + Cascade + Centennial) @20 min whirlpool

And then for aroma, 20g Centennial + 40g Citra dry hop

This gives (in theory) a 6.6% and IBU 68.9, which I think is not too bad for an IPA (I quite like the bitterness, without being extreme). I am looking for an IPA, with pale colour, and very nice and refreshing aroma, with some complex flavour (without using 25 types of grains ;) ).

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Just don't expect a colorful ale with the normal carmel notes. Vienna is only a couple pts higher in color than MO.

You are gonna end up with a hoppy Vienna ale. Will still be good. :)

The MO will add a nice richness to a hopoy brew. The whirlpool and dry hops will really enhance that citrusy fruity hop aroma. If you go with a 90 minute boil, it will be mildly darker than 6 srm, but I wouldn't fret about color at all.

Some whirlfloc and (if possible) a cold crash will go a long way towards clarity, if that's a goal.

Back