How about a Vienna + MO with 3C (Centennial Citra Cascade)?

ips

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've done a few home brews, but still very amateur in making my own recipes. I have 2kg of MO and enough hops to do an IPA (15L batch). Have about 20g Magnum, 10g Cascade, 50g Citra and 40g Centennial. I usually use MO + Munich, or Caramel malt... but wanted to try something new this time. I have never used Vienna before, and after reading that many people use it as a base grain quite often, thought I could give it a try. So I was planning to do:

Grain:
2kg MO (EBC 4-6, ~48%)
2kg Vienna (EBC 5-8, ~48%)
200g Carahell (EBC 25-40, ~4%; mostly for the colour, to get to ~6 SRM)

I usually do a 60 min boil (at 67 C), but last time I did a 90 min boil with a MO smash, and was great (rich colour and taste, higher ABV). So was thinking to do the same this time.

Hop schedule (pellets)
20g Magnum @60
10g Centennial @5
10g each (Citra + Cascade + Centennial) @20 min whirlpool

And then for aroma, 20g Centennial + 40g Citra dry hop

This gives (in theory) a 6.6% and IBU 68.9, which I think is not too bad for an IPA (I quite like the bitterness, without being extreme). I am looking for an IPA, with pale colour, and very nice and refreshing aroma, with some complex flavour (without using 25 types of grains ;) ).

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Just don't expect a colorful ale with the normal carmel notes. Vienna is only a couple pts higher in color than MO.

You are gonna end up with a hoppy Vienna ale. Will still be good. :)

The MO will add a nice richness to a hopoy brew. The whirlpool and dry hops will really enhance that citrusy fruity hop aroma. If you go with a 90 minute boil, it will be mildly darker than 6 srm, but I wouldn't fret about color at all.

Some whirlfloc and (if possible) a cold crash will go a long way towards clarity, if that's a goal.

Thanks! Actually, the colour turned out quite great! Very golden-like style. The smell is very nice too.
vienna02.jpeg
However.... the taste is not what I expected... it had a bit of off-taste, very bitter (more than expected) and an earthy-metallic like taste.
Everyone mentions how Vienna is so nice, more complex, etc... but got nothing. Maybe has something to do with this powerful bitterness that masks most of the taste, and not a fan of it. I experienced this bitter taste before with a Centennial-Citra IPA (bittered with Magnum) last year. Never happened before with any Citra IPA, and got a lovely smash Cascade last time, so my only guesses are:
1. something is wrong when bittering with Centennial or Magnum? I was reading about some people that feel a metallic-ish taste with Cent hops...
2. too much bittering from start?
3. maybe has something to do with my water profile? If I remember correctly, the water I used for this last one, had low Cl... that could be it maybe?
4. the yeast? I usually have some sediment in bottles and fermenter.
5. This is my choice: Chilling process. I do not have much equipment for chill and so on... so usually takes a looong time before I can add the yeast, this could give some "too much" bitter taste maybe.

Any possible explanation in why I got this taste would be appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks! Actually, the colour turned out quite great! Very golden-like style. The smell is very nice too.
View attachment 29459
However.... the taste is not what I expected... it had a bit of off-taste, very bitter (more than expected) and an earthy-metallic like taste.
Everyone mentions how Vienna is so nice, more complex, etc... but got nothing. Maybe has something to do with this powerful bitterness that masks most of the taste, and not a fan of it. I experienced this bitter taste before with a Centennial-Citra IPA (bittered with Magnum) last year. Never happened before with any Citra IPA, and got a lovely smash Cascade last time, so my only guesses are:
1. something is wrong when bittering with Centennial or Magnum? I was reading about some people that feel a metallic-ish taste with Cent hops...
3. maybe has something to do with my water profile? If I remember correctly, the water I used for this last one, had low Cl... that could be it maybe?
5. This is my choice: Chilling process. I do not have much equipment for chill and so on... so usually takes a looong time before I can add the yeast, this could give some "too much" bitter taste maybe.

thanks!
There is nothing in your setup that stays in contact with anything copper for extended times?

No... nothing...
That was my only thought. I have used magnum alot (my favorite bitter hop) and centennial never had the metallic flavor.

Only thing a quick search have me was high iron in the water and acetaldehyde in low doses might taste metalic

View attachment 29459

thanks!
How new is that beer? Metallic bitterness fades after 2-3 weeks in my experience.

Back