How about a Newbies Area

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm think specifically of a forum area for newbies to ask their questions. I've noticed that we tend to get way too far into the weeds when someone new to brewing asks us, for example, what yeast to use for a dry IPA. We're off into pitch rates and rehydration when all the guy wants to know is to use a Chico strain. And admittedly, I'm guilty, too. Rules of the road for the forum: Answer the question clearly and directly, maybe offer a little background on why you're giving your answer, keep it on topic. I think that would be one of the most helpful things we could do for the beginners out there.

In my opinion (since you didn’t ask :p ), once the OP has his answer, thread drift is ok. But until he has the info he’s looking for, stay on topic. It’s less confusing for the newbrewie. It can be a good way to demonstrate to him that there are many differing ways of brewing, and all of them will get you beer.

Sometimes the OP posts an initial question and you never hear from him/her again too. Some of the best threads have drifted off topic I think:).

Great idea! I'll put a "Beginners" forum area together today.

I think for this area, we'll limit discussion to the topic, and try to be helpful without information overload. Just an answer to the question, and maybe "for more information, look at XXXXX thread about temperature control", etc.

Does that sound correct?

Good luck with that.

That's what I was thinking, Yooper. Drift later in the thread probably isn't such a bad thing but I'm thinking for the newbie, getting the answer to the question quickly and accurately is probably the best. We can debate there or, as you mention, in another thread.

Back