hot head yeast in stout

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by weldedsord, Jul 9, 2019.

1. weldedsord

weldedsord Member

#1 weldedsord, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    so I made my rye chocolate stout with s04 but do to the summer heat here undrinkable so im thinking of trying hothead yeast so I don't have to buy special equipment I've been looking for dark beer results but very little came up on darker beers any thoughts on hothead yeast

Trialben likes this.
  2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Go For It! If my previous brown ale is anything to go by it worked well in that style for me.

I've not used hot head but the Voss kviek strain and only 2c from me is keep the heat on it after primary don't let the temp drop out. I'm still getting to know it well but I've found it can flock out and get sluggish and attenuate poorly if the temp cools the day or two after primary fermentation.
    Just my observations anyhow so this may not necessarily be the same in your case and.may he something I'm not doing right like leaving it a few more days at ferm temp or oxygenation to the wort prior to pitch. it is hard to get the o2 in by shake method at 30+ degrees:)!

3. AGbrewer

AGbrewer Active Member

I will preface my comments with the fact I've never used Hot Head or Omega yeasts before, but I'm planning on doing a Tripel and a Quad with their Belgian 028 W yeast.

Having said that, and given the description from the manufacturer about hot head, I would anticipate some fruity aroma and flavors (likely honey and mango according to their website). If you are okay with that, I would say brew away.

Here is an blog from AHA that talks about it a bit more. Albeit not with stouts...

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27786.0

4. AGbrewer

AGbrewer Active Member

Just found the following reviews about using hot head with stouts and dark malts. It was a question asked by Bryan R on Feb 24, 2018
    "Has anybody tried this yeast in a stout or with darker malts?". You will need to click on the "Q&A" section to see it.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/omega-hothead-ale

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    Unless you ferment at a high temp Hot Head is very clean, those flavors your talking about are only present in the 80F to 90F range otherwise the flavor is neutral

AGbrewer likes this.
  6. weldedsord

weldedsord Member

Well I’ll try it for science but seriously thanks for the feedback

AGbrewer likes this.