hops ?

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
is there a flavour difference between hop pellets and whole leave , and if so when should we use each in a brew
Or is pellets just more convenient

My understanding, pellets are usually much more concentrated than whole, because it is all ground up.

Whole could have less chance of oxidation, but most pellets are stored on N2, so who knows.

I have used both. Pellets are easier:D

is there a flavour difference between hop pellets and whole leave , and if so when should we use each in a brew
Or is pellets just more convenient
This has been long debated whether or not whole cones are superior to pellets. I don't use whole cones for a number of reasons.
For one, they don't keep as well, or so the story goes and two, the whole cones are a PITA for me. Way too hop stuff in my beer.

Which is better? For me I prefer pellets and the flavor and aroma are as good as whole cones. The bigger questions with hops is whether or not you got a first rate hops or someone's rejects, that's what sucks for a home brewer.

I don't use whole leaf because I can't get it locally. We actually did have a couple of hop farms within an hour or so, but they either closed or don't sell to the public anymore. My HB store has a decent selection of pellets, and it isn't very far at all.

I don't use whole leaf because I can't get it locally. We actually did have a couple of hop farms within an hour or so, but they either closed or don't sell to the public anymore. My HB store has a decent selection of pellets, and it isn't very far at all.
Wanna try some whole hops? I've got about a ten year supply in the freezer from the hops garden...

In theory pellets have their 'goodness' more exposed, as it's been pulverized. So they deliver better efficiency or utilization. But like fresh tomatoes, they might be more flavorful. Or not. Dried cones probably lost that 'extra' though. My 2 cents.

Anybody ever chop the hops cones up with one of those swirling knife vegetable choppers or maybe a meat grinder?

Anybody ever chop the hops cones up with one of those swirling knife vegetable choppers or maybe a meat grinder?
I’m wondering about doing that later this year, if/when my Centennial rhizome produces.

You know, a meat grinder is almost what they use to pelletize the cones. Betcha it'd work. Depends on the grinder I think.

Yeah i use my thermomix to blitz the crap outta my Cascade whole cones so they don't clog my pump when brewing.

But I bag em.
I think the biggest drawback of whole cones is storage you can pack way more pellet hops into a smaller freezer space.

Hey @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews how do you brew with your whole cones please?

Yeah i use my thermomix to blitz the crap outta my Cascade whole cones so they don't clog my pump when brewing.

But I bag em.
I think the biggest drawback of whole cones is storage you can pack way more pellet hops into a smaller freezer space.

Hey @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews how do you brew with your whole cones please?
I find whole hops easier, decent false bottom or bazooka tube and just toss 'em in the kettle.

I would say another decision in regards to whole cones vs pellets vs hop extract products is your hopping rates and your beer style.

For instance I wouldn't brew an IPA with whole cones just due to beer absorbtion rates of whole cones vs hop extract.

A lager due to its lower hop usage might be a better choice because it's gunna use way less hops.

For instance I wouldn't brew an IPA with whole cones just due to beer absorbtion rates of whole cones vs hop extract.

When they pelletize them they don't remove any vegetable matter do they?
There's a lower utilization due to the surface area difference. Or is it harder to extract the wort at HB scale?

There's a lower utilization due to the surface area difference. Or is it harder to extract the wort at HB scale?
It think whole cones vs pellet vs cryo hop hop extract as you go down the processing of the hop you get less beer absorbtion well you do.

I'm not totally sure on the T90 hop I know there's a T45? As well less used these days.

Storage is a massive one vsnthe compressed pelletised version.

I'm sure brulosophy did a podcast on these recently. This one I'm sure @cowboy7307
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5JvnG8WlLrwNvrV8MGekRb?si=n_7MgIoPTIqVeVozSHrELg

All I know is from my one time using cry hops for a hoppy beer I got more bang for my buck in regards to flavour and more beer as an end product.

Last edited:
No, they mush up the whole cone. The pellet disintegrates, giving greater surface area than whole cone.

The main reason to pelletize is storage and transportation.

Lots of pro-brewers use whole cone but there's rarely a consensus around why that I've been able to find. I find pellets easier generally but that's just simple personal choice.

There are really good arguments around whole cone in hop-backs. I'm about to start using a hop-back in some beers and will use whole cone there for sure.

As has been said, they are easier to filter and keep out of small pumps and heat exchangers but the other side of that is getting rid of the spent hops. Pellets are just mush, a lot of it goes down the drain, but whole cones bring another issue if you're brewing at any sort of scale.

It seems like it's more around personal preferance, availabilty and practicality more than brewing science from what I can see.

I think that I get more aroma out of pelletized hops. I do use both since i grow them and use them whole. You definitely need to use more whole hops to get the same as pelletized. And I agree that the whole hops are easier to keep out of the plumbing than pelletized.

Back