Hops Summary on Recipe View and Printout

eheeke

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was pleased to see today's Changelog entry indicating that the Hops Summary on the Recipe View and Printout had been updated. I liked that feature in the previous versions because it showed me the total amounts I needed for each hop in the recipe.

I checked out the update and was disappointed to see that it separates the hops by Time (Start, Middle, End, and Dry Hop). For my recipe both hop listings below are basically the same. This may be meaningful for others, but I'd prefer to see a Hop Summary that provides total weights for each hop for entire recipe.

upload_2019-10-14_21-56-26.png

I'd find the following more useful:

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA

28 g Chinook Pellet 9.4
15 g Magnum Pellet 11.8
48 g Amarillo Pellet 8.0
28 g Cascade Pellet 4.8
14 g Centennial Pellet 8.5
28 g Yakima Chief - Simcoe LupuLN2 Lupulin Pellet 23.0

Me too. I use the uop summary to check if I need to go to the LHBS. So I'm only interested in variety, type and amount.

Also the Total seems to be wrong format (Oz) given that individual values are in grams...

Just wanted to let everyone know that this has been corrected and the change has been included in todays update. The hop summary is now listing the recipe total for each hop varietal regardless of how that hop is used at different times.

I appreciate the heads up, and I was checking this out this evening. I'm sorry to say, but something is still amiss when I print out existing recipes. I haven't investigated in great detail, but here are a couple of printouts where you can see the hop summary is not correct at all. Some hops are skipped over completely. I'll try to investigate further tomorrow.

upload_2019-12-30_22-40-51.png

upload_2019-12-30_22-42-24.png

Good catch, I checked maybe a dozen recipes but apparently they didn't have the right hops.

I'll investigate further, and have reopened the ticket for the developers.

Last edited:
It looks like all “cascade” are lumped together, regardless of cryo vs other. I think it’s hard to have it be “smarter” than it is, so it may take a while to sort that one.

It looks like all “cascade” are lumped together, regardless of cryo vs other. I think it’s hard to have it be “smarter” than it is, so it may take a while to sort that one.

Cryo and non cryo are being seperated on the summary, but pellet and whole leaf are being combined, at least currently on the beta version. It's just the non cryo Cascade was being affected by the bug.

I was already looking at my recipes before I saw your note. It appears that my older recipes had "generic" hop name entries that were different than the generic ones currently on the BF recipe generator (showing in the hop dropdown menu). For example, my recipe had "Cascade" in the name, but BF showed "Cascade (7 AA)" in the dropdown list to choose from. Once I changed my hop entries to all be the current dropdown choices, they combined in the summary properly. Well, the amounts combined properly; however, I noticed that the IBUs didn't combine. It only captured the initial IBU of the two entries. See below circled in blue.

I also tested this on the beta site, and the IBUs do not combine there either.

Thanks again for your quick attention.

upload_2019-12-31_23-27-25.png

Back