Hops filtering post chill...

I personally didn't like them, the water and hops didn't flow well and I felt I got bad extraction from the hops in it. But that might have just been in my head.

I personally didn't like them, the water and hops didn't flow well and I felt I got bad extraction from the hops in it. But that might have just been in my head.

Ordered the Grainfather/Mangrove Jacks one, it's extra coarse(800 micron)...sense I usually use either whole hops or a combination of whole and pellet, I figure it will catch the big chunks and keep the pump running good for whirlpool. The rest can go into the fermenter and I'll let'er go.

I don't know what mine was, but it was pretty fine which might have been my issue.

Got my 800 micron spider, used it yesterday for Blonde on Blonde which has .6 ounce of Cluster(whole) at 60 and 1 ounce Sterling(pellet) at 10. I also pumped my wort into the spider at the bottom of the kettle from the tun. Just to see how it all worked I lined the Speidel with a brew bag for a post filter. Had MAYBE a 1/2 cup of sediment in the kettle after it was drained and another in the brew bag when I pulled it out. I'd say that's a successful solution.

Not sure hop it's going to affect hop efficiency, but everything seemed to flow without much of any restriction.

Nice. Hopefully it works a treat for you.

wrong thread... o_O

Last edited:
i just use a kitchen sieve to get the bigger bits. dont even have to sanitize as i no chill. apart from that i just dump it in

Back