Hoppy, Sorta SMaSH Ale.

Charlie W

Premium Member
Reaction score
More like SMa2H. Had some hops laying around, 1oz Magnum, and 1oz Citra. Brewed 14# GWM 2-row with the Magnum as FWH and the Citra at flameout and let stand for 20 min.
Second cousin to an IPA maybe. Chilled hydrometer sample, and nice straw color and very hoppy on the nose and tongue, though not super bitter.I guess I don't have the "trained" palate that some of the more experienced brewers have, I really can't detect notes of this or that with the hops. It seems like Cascade flavor to me.
Got a good ferment from WLP001 pint of slurry from previous brew pitched from fridge cold. Swirled it up a bit and in ya go. 8 hours later , BLOOP! Took off like a house afire and continued for the next 2 days with about 2" krausen on top.It sat for 2 weeks because I actually had to work and my family were making outrageous demands on me , like help me with my homework, you said you were gonna paint, fill in the blank. So needy!. Hahaha. Anyways , we'll see in 2 weeks. All the best, Charlie.

What size was your batch? For me 2oz of hops will be low on both aroma and flavor IMO

5 gal. I would have to look at my notes about the AAUs.OK, Magnum 11.8 and the Citra was 12. All the best, Charlie.

Back