Hoppy Brown recipe review

Turfdawg21

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - new to the forum and I wanted to get some advice on a Hoppy Brown recipe. Fairly new to home brew about 8 brews complete with 6 being drinkable. I have always used DME and have decided to incorporate a base malt in along with my DME.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Hoppy Brown

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Mild
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.108
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.78%
IBU (tinseth): 56.92
SRM (morey): 16.85

FERMENTABLES:
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (4.8%)
6.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (61.9%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (2.4%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (2.4%)
0.25 lb - American - Chocolate (2.4%)
0.25 lb - Flaked Oats (2.4%)
2 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (19%)
0.5 lb - American - Vienna (4.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.58
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.07
1 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.85
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 185 °F, IBU: 23.42
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 160 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 2 gal

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056

Looks pretty tasty. Why not go a few more pounds of MO and skip the DME your going to have to mash it anyways:rolleyes:. This is probably what you've got on hand huh?
You recon you'll be able to taste them late addition hops in that brew I've little experience with brown ales though?

yes no need to mash morris otter in a partial with those grains unless its just for flavor, none of the other grains will contribute very much alcohol, but if you do you need to hold it for at least 30 minutes just to boost the 2 pounds into sugar, I would just use table sugar instead and steep the other grains

Since I am new to the brewing process and wanting to move towards to all gain (not currently set up for this) I wanted to work outside the box a little but also not screw up the entire brew. I typically steep the grains at 155 for about 30-45 min then transfer wort for boil. As the temp increases around 170 I would add about 3 lbs DME and then the remainder half way through the 60 min boil. If I were to do the same process with the morris otter along with sparging will this provide the sugar needed?

if you already do that then its fine and will give some sugar and a good experiment on almost all grain

after messing around with the recipe tool, I see what you mean that this doesn't really do much for me. how much sugar would you recommend and when would you add it?

just add table sugar as an ingredient in the recipe editor just like a grain to give the desired gravity, you can add the sugar just like dme when ever you want but it takes longer to dissolve than dme

Back