Hopped Starter

GernBlanston

Trial Member
Reaction score
I tried something new tonight. While making a 2 liter starter in an Erlenmeyer flask, I recalled hearing about a micro brewer who would toss in a handful of hops as the wort came to a boil to prevent a boil over. Now I don't have a problem with boil over in my brew kettle ( Thank you, electric brewing), but I always have to carefully watch my starter flask because the DME wort is very foamy, and as the wort comes to a boil in the narrow neck, the foam has to go somewhere. After the boil is established, the foaming problem goes away. Its only at the early stage of the boil that I have a problem. Well tonight I tossed in a couple of hop pellets. Not enough to add any IBUs or flavor, just a couple of pellets. The wort started to foam, but never got out of hand. Is that because of the oils in the hops breaking the surface tension of the bubbles? I don't know. I don't even know if it had any direct effect in the lack of boil over. But I will keep doing it until I find a reason not to.

Anyone else do this?

Have read quite a bit on this lately, it seems the overwhelming reason to use hops is for the 'preservative' properties. But as with most topics, there is hot debate.....

Easy answer - if it works for you, 'Just do it!'

GernBlanston said:
hearing about a micro brewer who would toss in a handful of hops as the wort came to a boil to prevent a boil over.

... not sure about the rest of it, but I know I have to be very careful with any 60 minute (start of boil) hop addition as it will cause a boil over if added to quickly, always have to sprinkle them in slowly and watch it close.

MrBIP said:
GernBlanston said:
hearing about a micro brewer who would toss in a handful of hops as the wort came to a boil to prevent a boil over.

... not sure about the rest of it, but I know I have to be very careful with any 60 minute (start of boil) hop addition as it will cause a boil over if added to quickly, always have to sprinkle them in slowly and watch it close.
Hah! Funny you mention that. I just had my n-th boilover last night. :lol:
The pot was fuller than it should have been, but I was being really careful, thought I had it made, then added about another 3 pellets.....*blurp* hops and wort all over the stove. :roll:

I've only had 2 boil overs in now 25 batches, but soooo happy I bought a propane burner and did in the garage from the start. Boiling over the the stove doesn't sound like fun.

I do get the issue with the starter boil overs. Gotta stand right there and watch it. Kitchen stove is electric so always figured that was more the issue. Guess not.

(No, not boiling starter in flask on electric stove :))

Here's a little trick for those with boil-over problems.

As soon as you get to a boil, turn off or remove the pot from the heat source. Add your bitterering addition and then resume heating. Another way around it is to keep a gallon or two of wort in a separate pot and add it back to the main boil kettle after getting through Hot Break.

Either method will work and it's sure better than the clean up and also the hop loss associated with it.
Good Luck
Brian

Back