Hop Substitution

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Went to LHBS for supplies for next couple of batches.
They had everything I was looking for except Northern Brewer hops for California Common .. we subbed Brewers Gold. My research when I get home says it's probably an ok sub? I've not done anything with Brewers Gold hops, or even read anything about them until tonight, so don't know.

Got stuff for a batch this weekend and next, was really wanting to brew this one first, but I can switch it up if this isn't a good trade off. Have a source for NB whole hops if I need them.

(I also picked up one of the carboy cleaner that mounts on a drill :D )

northern brewer is kind of a hop flavor of its own, is going to be a finishing hop or bittering?

My advice: Brew with it. A California Common is a fairly bitter brew so you'll likely be using most of the hops early in the boil. I haven't used Brewer's Gold so I can't say much about the aromatics. What you put in early mostly contributes bitterness. If you can get your hands on some German noble hops, some Crystal or Willamette, use that for the flavor/aroma hop additions. If Brewer's Gold is all you have, brew with it. Sometimes the best recipes are born of necessity. I was never a Marine but the brewer's motto isn't a lot different: Adapt and make beer.

Quality Home Brew said:
northern brewer is kind of a hop flavor of its own, is going to be a finishing hop or bittering?

Both, 60 minute and 10 minute.

Nosybear said:
If Brewer's Gold is all you have, brew with it. Sometimes the best recipes are born of necessity.

This is what I'm thinking, too.

Thanks,

Bingo! Found that I still have 1.2oz whole Northern Brewer from a local source in the freezer. Bitter with the Brewers Gold, finish with the NB ... all it right again.

Sorry not the greatest picture, but you can still read it.

Attachments

• hops.jpg
    hops.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2,860
I've seen this before, but really made me wonder when I see Chinook listed as a sub for Northern Brewer. ?? Not too sure about that. But, three hops common listed for sub to NB and BG, so by proxy, I suppose BG is a good sub for NB. Will see soon enough, it brewed last week --- of course this is my "California Small Beer" by error (in another thread), so who the heck knows what it's going to be now! LOL :roll:

like allot of other older comparisons, most are meant for bittering not finishing, allot of hops today can be used for both so if you need a certain finishing flavor on your pallet you really can substitute with very many

Back