Hop selection for Saison hybrid

th Cap'n

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a low grav Saison hybrid recipe (moving forward from the Belgian Pale hybrid concept). I'm looking for strong peach and apricot flavors with a touch of citrus. Thinking W3711 for yeast and primarily pilsner malt with a little wheat and Munich.

Hop suggestions so far:
Hull Melon
Australian Summer
New Zealand Motueka
Citra
Mosaic
Brewer's Gold
Amarillo

Like I said, low gravity, finishing around 4% ABV with ~20 IBU.

Thoughts?

thoughts for the finishing hop flavor, dry hop with citra/Simco or citra/Amarillo seems to work for me

For a Saison, Tettnanger is my hop of choice. What effect are you going for? I can see Citra as a good choice for citrusy-grapefruity flavor, Amarillo to tilt more toward melon-lemon and Willamette to tilt more toward floral. Saisons should be tart and spicy, that's why I stick with spicy Tettnanger when I do one but hey, you could get good results with nearly any flavor hop.

where do you find Hull Melon hops?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Saison finished with Citra....

If you want the fruit to stand out I would stay away from the citrus style hops. Spicy will enhance fruit flavor with malt sweetness present. Sasion yeast will add spicy notes on its own. I used 7lbs. of fresh peaches in a 4gal. batch and only got suttle peach flavor. If you use peaches go with 10 but apricots should have a stronger enhancement.

ah, ok. I haven't seen the new German hops in any of the American stores yet. Wonder when they will be available here....

Back