Hop Matter In Fermenter

lcfi

Premium Member
Reaction score
Did my second AG brew a couple of days ago, is a NEIPA. Am using a Robobrew, didn't use a hop spider for my boil additions. Dropped the temp to around 22 celsius before transferring. There was a heap of hop matter left behind in the kettle but looking at the fermenter the next day it seems the bottom 3 to 4 litres are very cloudy and taking a sample it is quite green so I assume it is hop matter. It's above the spigot so I assume I won't be able to transfer without using a siphon when the time comes.

I've got 2 questions:

1) Any suggestions on what I could do to avoid bringing that hop matter across next time? Or is that just to be expected with NEIPAs?

2) What is the best method for dealing with the hop matter in the fermenter on this batch? Am I right in saying I am going to need to use a siphon to transfer?

1). We transfer everything from the Boil Kettle to the Fermenter and we use a hop filter bag between the two. Although there are many ways to “skin a cat”, this has worked for us for a couple years now. Just be prepared to have a few hop bags on hand as you will fill up the bags quickly.

2). If you use the approach I described above, you won’t have that problem from boil kettle carry overs. For dry hopping... I still struggle with that myself. But that’s another story. But if you can use a muslin or hop filter bag to put your dry hops into, that might work. Cold crashing will definitely help consolidate and compact the trub bed, including the hop debris.

Last edited:
1). We transfer everything from the Boil Kettle to the Fermenter and we use a hop filter bag between the two. Although there are many ways to “skin a cat”, this has worked for us for a couple years now. Just be prepared to have a few hop bags on hand as you will fill up the bags quickly.

2). If you use the approach I described above, you won’t have that problem from boil kettle carry overs. For dry hopping... I still struggle with that myself. But that’s another story. But if you can use a Muslim or hop filter bag to put your dry hops into, that might work. Cold crashing will definitely help consolidate and compact the trub bed, including the hop debris.

Ok thanks that's good to know. I actually have some hop filter bags so will definitely try that next time. Good idea with the cold crashing too, was actually wondering if that would get it below the spigot so will take that approach

Yeah it should let it ride then crash for a few days. I don't do crazy hop rates but I've never had a problem so far in 60 or so brews transferring through a tap. If your worried about transferring hops out of fermentor into keg you can tie that hop bag loosely on end of transfer hose to catch them few that will get through.

Back